Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam 2019 crashing and other...

JeremyV

So... second time this has happened.  I thought it was a fluke but doesn't seem to be.  After an hour of using mastercam, I made sure to save my work because based on what happened before, I'm glad I did.

So... once in a while i'll change the colors of chains for better identification and if I needed a color that is not in the small list, i'll go to "more colors" and then mastercam crashes.  This happened twice now in 2 different days.  The funny part is, when selecting "more colors" after a crash, it works okay once.  I haven't tried it again.  So whats up with that?

Also, why does mastercam open a new file in the previously saved directory instead of the primary directory?

As an example, our primary filepath as set in mastercam is: \\kjlc\Division\Manufacturing\Programming

and after we work on a file, it'll remain in that location till we work on a different one.  This has never happened before.  Is there an option somewhere that i'm not aware of?

5 minutes ago, JeremyV said:

So... once in a while i'll change the colors of chains for better identification and if I needed a color that is not in the small list, i'll go to "more colors" and then mastercam crashes.  This happened twice now in 2 different days.  The funny part is, when selecting "more colors" after a crash, it works okay once.  I haven't tried it again.  So whats up with that?

This belongs on the "official" Mastercam forum, myself and others have been chasing this for several versions....

Yep,it's not just the More Colors that triggers the crash, there are other things that do also.

For the time being just do what I do, save and reboot Mastercam once an hour or so.  Sometimes it's easy to spot when it's about to crash, like value boxes not populating etc... that's when I save and reboot because a crash is inevitable at that point.

2 hours ago, JeremyV said:

So... second time this has happened.  I thought it was a fluke but doesn't seem to be.  After an hour of using mastercam, I made sure to save my work because based on what happened before, I'm glad I did.

This has happen to me also, but only once.. Where mine differs though is I lost all my saved data up to that point, so  my file went back to the first time I saved it, witch was file right after opening up model.. we are having network problem also, so wasn't sure what to think about this..

I would be interested in knowing if they ever resolve this , that for sure

p.s. really don't understand the decision of the color pallet anyways, at least older version you had a check box if you wanted to always use large

color pallet... to me this was a step backwards 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, JParis said:

This belongs on the "official" Mastercam forum, myself and others have been chasing this for several versions....

I apologize, JParis.  I had no idea.  Thanks.

Several versions?  The color palette crash for 2019 is new to me.  I've never had an issue with colors crashing mastercam at anytime before 2018 =\

2 hours ago, jeff said:

Yep,it's not just the More Colors that triggers the crash, there are other things that do also.

For the time being just do what I do, save and reboot Mastercam once an hour or so.  Sometimes it's easy to spot when it's about to crash, like value boxes not populating etc... that's when I save and reboot because a crash is inevitable at that point.

The crash you describe in the latter section has happened to me more than I can count in 2018 and a few times in 2019 for different reasons.  I have to wonder if it was the hardware that runs on my PC... then again we'll never really know.  Sometimes it was too late and yes my auto save saved something but I prob lost 2-4 mins worth of programming, which is better than an hour's worth.

As a side note, i've been watching the memory allocation in windows task manager... and the longer you use mastercam the more memory is being used.  I hate having mastercam paired with windows 10, I much prefer win 7, but whatever.

1 minute ago, JeremyV said:

I apologize, JParis.  I had no idea.  Thanks.

I didn't mean not to post it here...sorry if I was confusing in saying that

Only that that specific issue needs to be raised there as well...but yes, this goes back for me back to X9...

• 2 months later...

I thought the "more colors" crash was just me. But it has happen to me several times now. Does anyone have a fix??? or work around??? This last crash really screwed me. 😤 Having to save every time before I want to change a color is a bit ridiculous. And to read this has been a problem sense X9?  I have had a hard enough time moving from MasterCam V9 to 2019......  Aaaah come on MasterCam?!? Please fix this. Thanks 👍

• Like 1

This is an issue , which like Mcam adding planes called "Group Machine Group - 1-Mill" is very hard to pin down .  I would suggest  everybody tries to jot down (obviously from memory) the preceding steps . Then we have to get them into one thread and I'm sure pretty soon we'll see patterns emerging  and then we'll have something to present to CNC .

Otherwise we'll be stuck with these "randomly " occurring  issues forever. Colin , U up for the infra here ?

Gracjan

1 minute ago, CJep said:

I haven't noticed it yet with the 2nd update.

Happened to me yesterday on update 2

There is no rhyme or reason to it.....I have been dealing with it since 2017, perhaps X9 but I'm not sure on X9....that's why I lean towards a memory leak...

What I do know is save and save often, and if you click on More Colors and the dialog does not come up, save immediately and shut down....otherwise, you're likely to crash in the VERY near future

Edited by Guest
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This more colors crash/freeze has been bugging me a lot lately. I'm glad it's not just me though. I only started getting it in 2019 though.

A couple times, I've had to reboot my computer because after a crash trying to restart mastercam it would just sit there saying allocating memory at the bottom left of teh screen. Computer reboot was the only way to get it to reopen.

2 hours ago, John13 said:

This more colors crash/freeze has been bugging me a lot lately. I'm glad it's not just me though. I only started getting it in 2019 though.

A couple times, I've had to reboot my computer because after a crash trying to restart mastercam it would just sit there saying allocating memory at the bottom left of teh screen. Computer reboot was the only way to get it to reopen.

Out of curiosity, to you have older versions of MC installed? I am not experiencing this in 2019; but, I was in 2017. I do not have older versions installed.

• 2 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:05 AM, John13 said:

This more colors crash/freeze has been bugging me a lot lately

This bug is fixed with Update3

They were having issues with the update utility and had it turned off for a while,

If it's still down, you download Update 3 from the support page at Mastercam.com

You'll need a maintenance date of 11/30/18 or earlier to run it.

• Thanks 1