Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Overlap cut lines with nesting?

LucasGC

Hello,

I have the same part that I'm nesting on a sheet, and where it says part-distance I have it set at zero. I also have the optimized pairs and combine cuts enabled. There is still a big clearance between the parts. I either want to get this smaller, or to where the lines will actually overlap. (just a contour path with one tool)

I've tried putting a negative number in the part spacing box but it will not let me.
Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

2 hours ago, LucasGC said:

nesting on a sheet

hmm, I didnt know about this function so thanks for that!

mine seems to work like it says. is it possible that you have unnoticed geometry,... sometimes a model will have a shard sticking out that is difficult to see,

causing your sizing problem.

does bounding box work tight to the part?

I have had blanked items throw out the part size , but that was years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Any input on optimizing this nesting operation?

I can get my parts to fit if I use horizontal fill, but when i select calculate it can't fit all the parts. Are there options for the way that it calculates this?

Went from 90 degree step angle to 45, fit less parts than with 90 even though it has more to work with....

• 1 month later...

I've noticed when I need to attach geometry with my toolpaths i will get more geometry if i have the level that the geometry is on active at the time.

There's a surface that I need that is in my toolpaths boundary but not used by the toolpaths. If i create a new level and have all my other levels off, create a toolpath nesting operation, select the operations that use geometry on lets say level 3 and generate the toolpath it won't attach the surface. If i have my level 3 visible when i generate the toolpath the surface shows up. This is frustrating because it creates geometry on level three as well, and i have to move all new entities to the new level.

The only setback is having to move entities to new level but didn't know if anyone had seen this / figured something out with it