Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

PH Steel tooling

Anyone have suggestions for good general purpose insert tooling for milling PH steels (17-4, 13-8, 15-5)? We don't do a lot of machining these alloys, but we do need some tools available.

Multi-flute 1" & 1/2" diameters, that can accept inserts of varying radius is what were looking for.

I’ll have to look up exact tools later when I’m at my old shop computer,  it we used a line of OSG tools that were discontinued. They replaced them but they weren’t as good. It’s for aerospace and had variable helix. The old lone was their SUS line. I can’t remember what they were replaced it with. 

I ran accupro tools with no issues in lots of 15-5PH condition H1025. TiAlN coated or Altin will give your best life overall. Ran Hanita Varimills at the last aerospace shop I worked and got pretty decent results. High axial/Low Radial gave us the best life and performance for our tools. Coated carbide was the second key for success. 

2 hours ago, So not a Guru said:

Anyone have suggestions for good general purpose insert tooling for milling PH steels (17-4, 13-8, 15-5)? We don't do a lot of machining these alloys, but we do need some tools available.

Multi-flute 1" & 1/2" diameters, that can accept inserts of varying radius is what were looking for.

The Sandvik R390 is a great cutter. What condition will these be at? 

17-4ph isn't all that bad, but you can't rip it like it's 1018.  If you start out at 303ss speeds and feeds and go from there you'll be fine.

• Like 2
  • Huh? 1
2 hours ago, jeff said:

17-4ph isn't all that bad, but you can't rip it like it's 1018.  If you start out at 303ss speeds and feeds and go from there you'll be fine.

+1 to that. We use those a lot in our shop, especially in hardened material.

Personally I prefer Ingersoll for roughing tools though, their stuff tends to take abuse and keep working a bit better.

(I have a few button pushers who are not great at keeping up on changing inserts...)

• Like 1
16 hours ago, jlw™ said:

I have had good luck with Imco endmills for 17-4 and 13-8.  Never ran 15-5 but all of the PH I have ran has really not been that bad.  It warps and relieves so plan that into your process.

I love making fixtures out of 15-5. I like it when you come back to a customer years later running the same parts and those fixtures still look like they did when they were made. Okay a little polished from years of chips, but they still hold size day in and day out on Ti projects. Once customer about 3 years ago wanted aluminum fixtures. We made them out of 15-5. Their plan was to remake the aluminum fixtures every 3 months. Lets see 12 times the cost to make them over that time or 1-1/2 times the cost to make them like we did originally. There I go again talking crazy talk.

• Like 4

I’ve been working late and haven’t gotten the old workstation fired up yet. If I remember correctly the OSG line is now UVX (it wasn’t quite as good as the SUS line was in my opinion). I also used HSMAdvisor via the app to dial in tools to maximize life and productivity with my tools. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2018 at 7:52 AM, jeff said:

17-4 could be pretty tough, depending on what condition it's at. H900 is no 1018. Eats up indexable tooling really fast.

53 minutes ago, Mark @ PPG said:

17-4 could be pretty tough, depending on what condition it's at. H900 is no 1018. Eats up indexable tooling really fast.

Insert selection is just as important as cutter selection. Use the wrong insert for the material, and it will blow up in no time.

I may know that from first hand experience... 😬

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...