Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

hyperboloid parabolic

HEAVY METAL

7 hours ago, pullo said:

Or you could use this program called .... Mastercam and a c-hook Fplot ( Function plot ) :)

Gracjan

I don't know how long you have been using Mastercam Gracjan but your Mastercam knowledge is vast to say the least. its impressive, keep up the good work buddy. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the Function Plot C-Hook can be used to plot out all kinds of curves, to a given tolerance. The only issue is the "input" has to be in equation form. What kind of data were you given?

I've seen some pretty unusual applications for creating geometry in Mastercam. For mechanical Cams, John Summers built some specialized Posts in V9, in order to be able to 'pass' input data to the Post, and the Post output would be a set of XY points that lie along the Cam profile.

1 minute ago, HEAVY METAL said:

I don't see the function plot c-hook . Is it one you have to download ?

F-Plot has been installed with Mastercam since I first started using it. It is possible that you might have to download this from the official Mastercam Forum, but I wouldn't know until after I get off work. (I use NX at work to program with...)

When you launch the C-Hook, just open Mastercam, and with your cursor inside the Graphics Window, press ALT + C on the keyboard to launch a C-Hook function. You should be inside the "chooks" folder from your Mastercam install. (When you launch the C-Hook function, Mastercam will open a browse window, to that location.)

Honestly dude, looking at that data, I can't see how anyone would be able to "tell" what that shape was supposed to be? How are they going to measure that "Hyperbolic Parabola"?

I think that is just a load of crap, from someone who didn't understand how to properly describe the shape they want you to create.

I would draw out the intersection points (They give you the lowest diameter as 85.5mm), and construct a 3 point arc that connects the endpoints of the 33.5mm line, and bottom point.

How are they going to inspect it? Do they have a template? Or would they just be taking a series of XZ Points, along the Contour?

The method I used to make that would depend entirely on how they plan to inspect this mythical Hyperbolic Parabola.

• Like 2

It's been 10 years since I messed with fplot. I'll have to look tonight and get back to you on that. I seem to remember being able to just type in an equation. It was only for the more complex equations that a .eqn file was needed. But again, it's been 10 years.

Maybe one of the guys from CNC Software would know?

Paging... Roger Martin!

• Like 1