Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

hyperboloid parabolic

HEAVY METAL

Quite honestly that looks like a simple revolve for what is shown.  It looks like a simple roller bushing, especially with that hardness and grooves.  LMAO

I'd make one the easy way then challenge them to check it and prove it wasn't good.

The use of the word is deceptive I agree, but what someone has done has used the shape of one and then used the shape of the other as the revolution defintion. Not correct way to define it. I would agree with others here make one and have them check it and tell you how it is wrong. If they have a sample or mastergauge to check to that would be even better. If not then make a sample and have them verify it. 

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:32 PM, Colin Gilchrist said:

Honestly dude, looking at that data, I can't see how anyone would be able to "tell" what that shape was supposed to be? How are they going to measure that "Hyperbolic Parabola"?

I think that is just a load of crap, from someone who didn't understand how to properly describe the shape they want you to create.

I would draw out the intersection points (They give you the lowest diameter as 85.5mm), and construct a 3 point arc that connects the endpoints of the 33.5mm line, and bottom point.

How are they going to inspect it? Do they have a template? Or would they just be taking a series of XZ Points, along the Contour?

The method I used to make that would depend entirely on how they plan to inspect this mythical Hyperbolic Parabola.

Hahaha!

As I was reading down this thread, THIS was the exact conclusion I came to as well!

• Like 2

JoshC  : since v3.1 , or roughly 1991 . 

Ellipsed , would not be the right equation .

The nice thing about a hyperboloid parabolic is that it is in essence a ruled  surface, so you can find  cross sections in it which form a line .  The 35 degs would be  I assume the angle (measured from the axis of the bushing) which used to make a cross section would give you a linear cross section of that surface.  Having said that I don't know at the moment how that would help one to draw  the curved surface....

Gracjan

Ok , so the solution was so childlishly simple , once I read my own answer.  :)))))))) 

The big clue is the a) 35 degs and the fact that  that  this surface is b) a ruled surface . 

Cooking instructions

1. draw a circle of diameter D63 mm. in the xy plane 

2. xform it 33.5 mm along the Z - axis .

3 ROTATE THE XFORMED CIRCLE AROUND THE CENTER THE  35 degs  as the drawing specified.  Just to make it idiotproof to oneself connect the two circles' endpoints with a line . 

This is our cross-section which forms a line.

4 . Create a ruled surface using the two arcs. Et voila! We have a  hyperbolic paraboloid 893910928_THEGIZMO.thumb.png.46493a54a82696e6341840a471d58518.png

Now , one has to make of course a cross section and verify the 58.5 measurement  in the waist line , but so far even I am impressed by myself for the simplicity of the

instructions that were encoded into the drawing . :)

Gracjan

• Like 1

Just as I suspected , a rotation of the upper arc of 35 degs does not give us an angle of 35 from the side , it gives us 28.3 , so the rotation angle of the upper arc should be.....

48.13 degs.  Now this gives us a waist line of 57.52 mm , so  I'm guessing the input data is somehow incorrect.  

GIZMO2.thumb.png.dcc8488f01eda6211023d3a0acc3a236.png

The fact that the angle 35 vs the 32.91 that  I observed  seemed  out of  touch  I went back and rotated the line linking the two creator arcs  so that the line would be perpendicular to the projection where I am measuring the angle .... and I got a new result of 34.9 degs, so  the 2d drawing was perfectly right on the money, just as I suspected .  

Gracjan

gizmo3.thumb.png.9f1624b829d86bd4b606770127faafc0.png

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...