Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

PARAMETER FOR ALL DEPTH, FINAL DEPTH

20 hours ago, C^Millman said:

Well only 6 in were in the 15 years before doing what I am doing now. In 3 months I worked in 7 different shops when I was 22. By the time I was 25 I had about 30 different jobs. I worked at one place for one hour and told them to fly a kite. Worked at some shops for a week and said nope not doing this. Was brought in as a shop supervisor at one place. After 3 days of sweeping the floor I was put on a lathe to rough some parts. The prints were all messed up and pointed out the errors to the owner. He said just cut tho these dimensions and I will get you the answer next week. He didn't expect me to rough it in 1 day and be ready for finish, but I was. He then got the answered and figured out I was correct and had rough an extra 1 to 2 inches of stock in key areas. He said no worry we will just sleeve and pin it and ship it to the customer they will never know. I was 1200 miles from home thinking this was going to be good chance for me. I packed up that night and went back home. People talk about how hard it is I had to call the police one time to clear my name after being accused of stealing tools I didn't. I had to pack up my tools at another place after every one left on a Friday night because they had kept several employees tools who had quit. I talked to a police officer and he said if you have keys to place possessions is 9/10 of the law you go get your tools and then quit. So I did next day the owners son shows up to fight about it. We talked and he was not happy I quit, but said he got it. Then Monday I get a call from the police for stealing company files. I talk to the police officer and he walks out to the file cabinet I kept everything for the shop in above and beyond what they did and proceeded to show them all the files and work they accused me of stealing and told me to have a nice day. I worked in another place for about 6 weeks where the one owner came in stoned out of his mind and started cleaning his loaded 9mm at the desk right behind me and told me if I couldn't handle it I could leave. I was working in another shop as an apprentice getting paid $8.50 an hour. They would bring 20 year guys at $18/hr to $20/hr and have me train them on different machines in the shop. How to run the speeds and feeds I would run on tools because they were all too scared to cut parts like I was doing it. When I asked for a raise I was told your an apprentice and if you want your card you will just have to deal with it. I was teaching half of the classes in the apprenticeship programs. I got cussed out by the one of owners for something he told me to do, but felt I didn't. He kicked a hole in a door and threw some tools and they sent me home without pay and cut my pay by a dollar an hour. I came back in with a new job and they were willing to let me stay if and the other owner admitted he was wrong, but the sower who cussed me out wrongly was not going to apologize I told them to fly a kite. I then worked in a shop were I was told learn the screw machine and if you do that after 3 months you will get a $2/hr raise. I learned it and helped them get $7 million in medial contractors. I had a ladder logic process they patented and sold to Fanuc that I didn't get a dime for. My 3 months came and I was told I was young with no family and don't need a raise.  I stuck it our for one more month and then the owners son was trying to do this project he couldn't. I took it over and got it all done and figured out. He then proceeded to take credit for my work. I called him out about it and he cussed me out and demoted me to operator. I told them to fly a kite.

I was shop supervisor at a place where an employee was stealing time from the company and I fire him. He showed his immediate supervisor a glock 9mm and said he was going to kill me. I had to call the police the owner was not going to. I helped that company get AS9100 approved and was in pain before having Diverticulitis surgery. We got through our audit and I told them I am going to the hospital to have surgery I was back to work 4 weeks later 45lbs lighter. They were not going to support me on someone trying to kill me. Police call me after I left that job that I worked with gcode at and John316 is still at to tell me he was going to prison for 25+ to life as the gun found on him at his arrest for assault charges on someone was used to kill a CHP officer.

That is a small sample of things I have been through in my 30+ years in this trade. Point is we have to know our worth and our value and be willing to do what is right even when everyone around us is calling us crazy. Right is right no matter how rack it, stack it or do it. When you always try to do your best the truth will come out. Not always going to win and not always going to get treated correctly, but when you just say nothing and do nothing to make your life better then it will not get better.

Hi C^Millman,
   After I read your "true story", you made me feel better just because I thought I got tough situation comparing everyone else.  I've been though crazy and disrespect from the owner but not like yours and I respect what you've been through. 

It's an honor to hear from you because it's true and "real true" in our trade. 

• Like 2

Good Friday All,
   This is how I force the post to catch up NO COMMENT in the OPERATION COMMENT... Some people write NOTHING in the OPERATION COMMENT, what's wrong with them?  I saw a lot of people doing it... Don't know why....

PS: Lazy?  No, they don't. They work like hell, it's just kind of a bad habit I think.

S.Luong

Untitled.png

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, PcRobotic said:

Good Friday All,
   This is how I force the post to catch up NO COMMENT in the OPERATION COMMENT... Some people write NOTHING in the OPERATION COMMENT, what's wrong with them?  I saw a lot of people doing it... Don't know why....

PS: Lazy?  No, they don't. They work like hell, it's just kind of a bad habit I think.

S.Luong

Untitled.png

Sorry, but the time takes to comment is seconds. I am guilty of doing it though.

34 minutes ago, Leon82 said:

There is a percentage of setup people who won't read whatever you put in the program also.

I had a guy use an er20 instead of er11 holder once.

The setup sheet said er11 and had a picture of one generated from camplete also. 

There is that. I had the shop foreman, setup guy and owner come to me years ago at one place asking me why I wrote a program to scrap this part we were making. I was surface machining this one area. I spent 2 hours trying to figure out what I missed. Finally I go out to the machine and start checking things. Not a single person noticed the ball endmill was running out .011". I told them to indicate the endmill in and rerun the program. Guess what program was good all along.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, C^Millman said:

Not a single person noticed the ball endmill was running out .011". I told them to indicate the endmill in and rerun the program. Guess what program was good all along.

Had that at a previous place. A part was engraved and it should have been centreline with the 1mm cutter.

The guy bought it into the office 'cus he didn't know what was wrong and the engraving was sooooo wide, and we were all scratching our heads. Then it clicked.

Funny thing is the lads nick name was Clarence, as in the cross eyed lion. And yep, cutter was running waaaaayyyyyy out :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2018 at 12:09 PM, Leon82 said:

There is a percentage of setup people who won't read whatever you put in the program also.

I had a guy use an er20 instead of er11 holder once.

The setup sheet said er11 and had a picture of one generated from camplete also. 

i handed the operator a cutter attached to the setup sheet and he decided he already had a 1/2 endmill set up, only thing was I cut 2" deep he had 1" of flute