Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

asymmetric shape in 2 axis lathe

Sina Nejati

hey guys 

I'm a bachelor student in mechanical engineering and I'm doing my final project on a simple 2 axis lathe CNC available in my university and I'm using MasterCam 2018 for generating g codes

so recently i was looking for a challenging shape or object to turn with CNC and I found this old YouTube video of someone making an asymmetric shape in 2 axis lathe and I can't figure out how he did it. there no explanation about the video so I'm asking you guys if anybody can help me figure this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_0PafcGSK8

thanks and sorry for bad english

hqdefault.jpg

That's not a 2 axis lathe....notice the head is tilted?

There are machines that have the ability to do eccentric and polygonal turning....these are however though specialty applications and functions of the machines.

In short, 2 axis mastercam lathe is not going to get it done

9 hours ago, JParis said:

That's not a 2 axis lathe....notice the head is tilted?

There are machines that have the ability to do eccentric and polygonal turning....these are however though specialty applications and functions of the machines.

In short, 2 axis mastercam lathe is not going to get it done

ohh i see now. i though maybe by syncing the spindle speed with the tool movement i can have something like that 

thanks it was really helpful

6 hours ago, huskermcdoogle said:

If you watch that video a little closer it is moving the y to stay to maintain the centerline of the profile as well.  The closest thing to what you are thinking for a two axis would be rope threading function on an Okuma.

thanks i will definitely check that out