Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Quick question on Ring Gauges

Roger

Are adjustable ring gauges set/calibrated when made?  In other words can you open them up and use "as is"?  Customer purchased them from MSC, and neither the GO or NO-GO gage starts.  I've made hundreds of these parts for them in the past with no problems, using a brass nut they provided for testing.   (I check EVERY ONE).

Now the nuts are stainless......Parts are stainless also.  And they SEIZED a nut on one!  After that, they bought ring-gauges for testing.  So my question is, should the thread gage thread on "new" or should they be set using a plug gage?

3 minutes ago, htm01 said:

only if it comes with a cert

Thanks for your reply.  This is what it says on MSC catalog page.  The customer opened the package, and then gave the gages to us.  And I don't see any certificate....

Untitled.jpg.99687d75f473709773ba6ba1a3b22fb6.jpg

I've also done so "research" on this.  Watched these, etc.  So I'm confused, because these show you setting them using a plug gage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m3rj01LygE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alhLl80FqCk

Firstly ignore the ring gauge - never run stainless to stainless as it will immediately gall (pick up/seize together).

You need some form of anti-seize compound on them (molyslip type) - don't even try to run it on loose, it'll get you and it won't come off.

For non-commercial applications, it's usual to silver plate the threads to stop galling.

As for the ring gauges - don't get confused with a certificate of conformance (ie a cert saying it is what it is) opposed to a certificate for size.

Unless these are certified for size, traceable back to national standards (UKAS in the UK - not sure what you guys run in 'Murrica), they aren't even good enough for paper weights :D

Not to cornfuse though.... if your customer is going to subsequent plate these, you'll going to have to allow for that...

1 minute ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Firstly ignore the ring gauge - never run stainless to stainless as it will immediately gall (pick up/seize together).

You need some form of anti-seize compound on them (molyslip type) - don't even try to run it on loose, it'll get you and it won't come off.

For non-commercial applications, it's usual to silver plate the threads to stop galling.

You guys are responding faster then I can type!!!!!!!!

Newbeeee:  Been there Done That, many times!!!  (galled stainless in stainless)  I and you know that, but the engineer is now using stainless for the nut also!! 

It looks like they used a kind of anti-seize on one of the parts AFTER seizing one on, and then went out and bought the gages!!!!!!!

Thread call out is 1"-20 UNEF-2A  After I got the nut off from the part the seized it on the other side of it will thread on loosely tell it hits the galling..........They apparently want us to use the gages, so now what?

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Newbeeee™ said:

As for the ring gauges - don't get confused with a certificate of conformance (ie a cert saying it is what it is) opposed to a certificate for size.

Unless these are certified for size, traceable back to national standards (UKAS in the UK - not sure what you guys run in 'Murrica), they aren't even good enough for paper weights :D

Not to cornfuse though.... if your customer is going to subsequent plate these, you'll going to have to allow for that...

THANKS!  That explains the statement on MSC page.  (conformance NOT SIZE).

Lots of good info here.  An "Adjustable Thread Ring gage" is notorious for going out of spec randomly, you will need to have a rigorous calibration schedule on them.  You can get fixed gages, but they are not common and very expensive.  What I've done is use two ring gage's, one on every part, the second is used by a second person to "audit" the production gage.  Ideally this would be QC, but even just having a second person is better than nothing.  The second ring gage only checks 1 per hour, 1 per10, or 1per 50, or whatever works for your application.  Everyone has a different "feel" when using ring gages, so having a second person do it is important.  While this doesn't eliminate ring gage issues it's gives you some redundancy.  Don't forget to use the appropriate lube when using a thread ring gage.

HTH

• Like 2