Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mc2019

JeremyV

So, I did some research on Saturday and chatted with a friend.  Is it possible that since Mastercam is programmed using Visual Basic, it is a memory hog due to the platform being used?

That brings me to this: I'm currently running Win 10 - which I don't like and would very much rather be running Win 7, but that's out of my control.  We upgraded our old pata HDD to a SSD and while windows itself loads fast, mastercam doesn't seem to care about the SSD and still loads the same as without the SSD.  Also, performance declines after hours of using which I already posted about this, but another thought occurred to me: Would the slow performance of mastercam have anything to do with:

It's just very annoying that we can't get a smooth working product

1: 16GB of ram ( I can go 64gb if I wanted to )

2: Undo function's history adds up eats memory?

For me, closing and re-opening is a PITA, but while it solves the issue somewhat, the slow performance returns sooner.  Rebooting / restarting the computer seems to do the trick.  I know the computer is strong enough to handle MC2019 in the processor, HDD, vidcard department, but I wonder if i'll see a difference in the memory upgrade by going from 16gb to 64gb or even 32gb... MY company's IT dept would say ah 16GB is good enough, but they don't work with mastercam like we do so I'm willing to part with some cash to do the upgrade myself.

Does anyone else other than me have performance issues?

1 hour ago, JeremyV said:

I don't know if it does or not, but if you go to System Config /Start/Exit

You can limit Undo Events by number of events  or used memory size

By default, it is not limited

• Like 2
3 hours ago, JeremyV said:

1: 16GB of ram ( I can go 64gb if I wanted to )

More RAM never hurts, ever.

As for the undo function.. I never thought of that. 

For me the memory leak seems to appear after about 4 hours of good continuous us. Restarting it fixes it.

Sure it's a pain, but it only takes a minute and you're up and running again.

• Like 1

Yeah , Fortran  for sure ,  you forgot Pascal ?

No.

But I'm old enough that I've done programming in both! :cry:

Fortran (before PCs existed),  UCSD Pascal and then Borland Turbo Pascal.
wikipedia - UCSD Pascal
wikipedia - Turbo Pascal

A project done in Turbo Pascal -> eMastercam Fourm - ESSI format

Mastercam's been around for 35 years. 
In case you've not seen the news.

C++ did not exist then (C++ first appeared 33 years ago), so before C++, you had 'C'.
wikipedia - C++

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:39 PM, jeff said:

More RAM never hurts, ever.

As for the undo function.. I never thought of that. 

For me the memory leak seems to appear after about 4 hours of good continuous us. Restarting it fixes it.

Sure it's a pain, but it only takes a minute and you're up and running again.

4-5 hours of continuous use then it'll crash.... for us at least.  Yesterday alone it crashed on me 3x.

Does anyone else have crashing issues?

Also, our reseller seems to believe that installing new versions of mastercam should be done without any importing at all to reduce the number of issues, aka crashing, slowness, etc... Would that be true or is my reseller just talkin out of his butt?

-JD

8 minutes ago, JeremyV said:

Also, our reseller seems to believe that installing new versions of mastercam should be done without any importing at

I agree with this and have been doing it at all times when updating MC with the exception of alfa/beta testing.

Hardly ever do I have any crashes. If I do it's usually when I get impatient and start clicking with my mouse too much 😆

Very large files here, high speed surfacing and 5 axis mostly, so I can't complain.

27 minutes ago, JeremyV said:

Also, our reseller seems to believe that installing new versions of mastercam should be done without any importing at all to reduce the number of issues, aka crashing, slowness, etc... Would that be true or is my reseller just talkin out of his butt?

My guess is they're talking about the config file....and with this I agree 100%

I have seen FAR more problems over the years with people importing their config than possibly ANY other issue..

I carry forward my workspace file....and machine defs & posts and tool libraries, setup sheet files,,,,,that config file stays in the past...

Edited by Guest
2 hours ago, JParis said:

My guess is they're talking about the config file....and with this I agree 100%

I have seen FAR more problems over the years with people importing their config than possibly ANY other issue..

I carry forward my workspace file....and machine defs & posts and tool libraries, setup sheet files,,,,,that config file stays in the past...

Would the same be said for custom keys (in config) or is that part of the workspace file?

Just now, JeremyV said:

Would the same be said for custom keys (in config) or is that part of the workspace file?

That file I would be wary of(age dependent)

There have been many changes to the key strokes available and how they're accessed

3 minutes ago, JParis said:

That file I would be wary of(age dependent)

There have been many changes to the key strokes available and how they're accessed

I keep mine default, except I use the right mouse button more often for the most common items I need.

My other fellow programmers have theirs setup differently since they believe its faster (one of the reasons being computer illiterate).... /shrug.

Does anyone see sluggishness around 200 toolpaths and a 30-40 MB file size?

I've been experiencing this for years across multiple releases and patches and gets really old. Opening toolpath parameters, selecting drive and check surfaces, boundary box selection, just about everything slows down. 

Windows 7  4 core 3.7GHz processor  32GB RAM 

I have my memory buffering set to 95%

Anything else I can change here?

7 minutes ago, cincy k said:

Too much, you're starving your system of memory to function....I try to never go above 70-75%

Might have to wait for SP2...that seems to address some performance issues

1 hour ago, cincy k said:

Does anyone see sluggishness around 200 toolpaths and a 30-40 MB file size?

I've been experiencing this for years across multiple releases and patches and gets really old. Opening toolpath parameters, selecting drive and check surfaces, boundary box selection, just about everything slows down. 

Windows 7  4 core 3.7GHz processor  32GB RAM 

Anything else I can change here?

are you running an SSD??

Thank god MC isn't programmed in any Basic language 😆

As a software developer, Mastercam looks like one big hybrid app to me. Obviously the application core and toolpath libraries are written in C/C++ for speed, but the GUI is a mixture of Win32 (op tree etc), Winforms (most of the dialogs), WPF (ribbon) and then there's the 3D-accelerated main work area. That with all the interoperability between managed and non-managed code makes it a resource hog and despite all the bugs it's actually a wonder it works so well!