Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2019 Crash After Solid Open

BrianP.

Running 2019 and since I started running it  Mastercam will crash soon after opening a solid part file. I have gotten into the habit of immediately saving as a Mastercam file but within a couple of minutes it will crash and open the box to send a crash report then restart. After opening the same file saved as a .mcam no issues. Same files opened in 2018 with no issues. Any one else having this issue. I have sent off the report with a description of the problem and an email address attached multiple times.

Thanks

6 hours ago, Roger said:

No problems here.  What file format is your solid?  What windows system are you using?  If you can put up a solid that crashes, I will see what happens with it here.

The file format is .SLDPRT and I am running Windows 10.  I narrowed it down that when I create a tool path it crashes. I can manipulate the hell out of the geometry but as soon as I create a tool path or 2 it crashes. I have been in touch with a guy I know at CNC Systems and sent him a file. He was able to replicate it. He has logged it with a number. Thanks for the responses. Will  update if they get back to me with a solution. The weird part is after the crash when Mastercam restarts itself it is stable. If I shut down Master and start a new session it will crash but not on the restart.

11 minutes ago, BrianP. said:

The file format is .SLDPRT and I am running Windows 10.  I narrowed it down that when I create a tool path it crashes. I can manipulate the hell out of the geometry but as soon as I create a tool path or 2 it crashes. I have been in touch with a guy I know at CNC Systems and sent him a file. He was able to replicate it. He has logged it with a number. Thanks for the responses. Will  update if they get back to me with a solution. The weird part is after the crash when Mastercam restarts itself it is stable. If I shut down Master and start a new session it will crash but not on the restart.

Does it happen when you import it as a STP file?

Are .SLDPRT files better than .STP files? 

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

We've been looking for quite a while at this issue where MC can crash after opening SW files into MC if SW2018 or SW2019 is installed.

There's an unexpected conflict with a .DLL that gets installed with SW.  That is why it has been nasty to chase down. It does appear to only be related to the import of .SLDPRTs and .SLDASMs.

We have only recently come up with a workaround, and are still working on total prevention. We have also notified SW of this issue.

There is a Mastercam KnowledgeBase issue logged on this which is helpful only in that it tells you to save and shutdown after opening SW files if you have SW2018 or SW2019 installed.

Can you please try the following workaround - which has been successful in our testing :

• Shutdown MC
  • Use the File Explorer to browse to the location of your SolidWorks install (usually C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp\SOLIDWORKS - though if you've got multiple SW installs you'll see SOLIDWORKS(2), SOLIDWORKS(3), etc)
  • Locate SldPropertyHandler.DLL and rename it to have an extension other than .DLL (do this in each the SW Install subfolders if you've got multiple versions)
  • Now start MC - Hopefully the crashes which occur shortly after opening SW files inside MC will stop.

It is my understanding that SldPropertyHandler.DLL is used to customize the dialog that appears when right-clicking on a SLDPRT or SLDASM and choosing 'Properties'. So you will lose that customization.

Please 'reply' here if you get a chance to try it. Thanks.

We did a bunch of trials at a place I worked once.

Parasolid .x_t  were the most bullet proof for file transfer.

2nd place .STEP files, but some problems occasionally.

I always save my work from SW as parasolid as a matter of course, and even use it to transfer files from MC to SW.....has never failed yet.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, nickbe10 said:

We did a bunch of trials at a place I worked once.

Parasolid .x_t  were the most bullet proof for file transfer.

2nd place .STEP files, but some problems occasionally.

I always save my work from SW as parasolid as a matter of course, and even use it to transfer files from MC to SW.....has never failed yet.

Same.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone out there tried this yet:

Can you please try the following workaround - which has been successful in our testing :

• Shutdown MC
  • Use the File Explorer to browse to the location of your SolidWorks install (usually C:\Program Files\SolidWorks Corp\SOLIDWORKS - though if you've got multiple SW installs you'll see SOLIDWORKS(2), SOLIDWORKS(3), etc)
  • Locate SldPropertyHandler.DLL and rename it to have an extension other than .DLL (do this in each the SW Install subfolders if you've got multiple versions)
  • Now start MC - Hopefully the crashes which occur shortly after opening SW files inside MC will stop.
On 1/20/2019 at 2:06 PM, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

Has anyone out there tried this yet:

• Shutdown MC

Locked out of even being able to change a file name. Will see if I can get the boss to log me in as an administrator tomorrow and try the fix.

• 1 month later...

I have a tower and a laptop running win 10 business. if: import para x_t , save file, close mastercam , open saved file, mastercam crashes. This can be reproduced at will on both computers. 

work around: import para, export step, import step... file wont crash. 

We've seen some imported .X_T files that will not save as MCAM correctly due to there being 'empty' bodies in the Parasolid data. After opening the .X_T look at the SolidsMgr. Expand whatever solids are there. Are there any with no 'Body' ?

This has been addressed for the MC2020 Betas, but for MC2019 you need to delete any empty solids before saving.

If you send me the .X_T file, I can check for sure.