Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lathe Dynamic Turning

Mark VIII

I've been using it quite a bit, but only on AL. Impact on turning times is not huge, but does exist. I'm seeing much better times, mostly due to switching to round inserts that are capable of turning on both sides large flanges.

Just as a warning, there are some pretty serious issues with it currently depending on what you're doing. Because it's based off of peel mill it likes to wrap around the ends of your parts, it does not respect clearance angles, does not like rest machining very much at all and, due to it always looking at stock that path will sometimes generate paths far away from the geometry you actually selected. All of these things require quite a bit of extra wireframe to be drawn.

There are also a couple of other things I've had to consider since starting to use it, such as switching to constant rpm instead of CSS in certain situations due to using round inserts your feed will typically be extremely high. This means that in certain areas of my part where the tool dives nearly straight up and down in X that the spindle load stays around %150-%200 with CSS.

If you need some help with any of these problems I have found work around for nearly everything mentioned above, just let me know

Caleb

• Like 1

I'm using it for heavy roughing of certain profiles in mild steels on large VTL's

Its working very well, showing a 25% cycle time improvement over roughing with 35° and 55° inserts

The actual cycle time improvement is much better than that because I'm only using one tool

where 2 sometimes 3 tools were required.

On a large VTL with 12 tool stations this can be a significant factor, both by freeing up tool stations and because

a tool change on a big VTL can take several minutes.

Chip control is also better and I can use the tool inspection feature to stop for chip clearing.

It's also much simpler from a programming standpoint, one toolpath replacing 2, 3 or sometimes 4

On the downside, the operators hate it. Due to the extended length of the tools, the operation is very noisy

and hearing protection is mandatory.

1 hour ago, jeff said:

Yes, the cycle time improvement is real. Prime Turning is definitely faster material removal than traditional turning.

Dynamic turning and Prime turning are two different technologies,

Dynamic turning reproduces high speed milling's motion in a lathe environment with round grooving inserts.

Prime Turning is proprietary Sandvik technology using the same chip thinning principle as high feed face mills.

Mastercam supports both.

Dynamic lathe has been around for several releases.

Prime Turning was introduced to Mastercam users as a chook in MC2018, and is now a regular tool path in the MC2019 lathe module.

As far as  I know, Mastercam is the only CAM system currently supporting Prime Turning.

3 minutes ago, gcode said:

Dynamic turning and Prime turning are two different technologies,

Dynamic turning reproduces high speed milling's motion in a lathe environment with round grooving inserts.

Prime Turning is proprietary Sandvik technology using the same chip thinning principle as high feed face mills.

Mastercam supports both.

Dynamic lathe has been around for several releases.

Prime Turning was introduced to Mastercam users as a chook in MC2018, and is now a regular tool path in the MC2019 lathe module.

As far as  I know, Mastercam is the only CAM system currently supporting Prime Turning.

Oops, I misread the question.  Coming off of a 4 day weekend and I'm not ready for a Monday morning. 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, gcode said:

As far as  I know, Mastercam is the only CAM system currently supporting Prime Turning

Glad to see Mastercam still holding its own and cutting times G.

I remember it was a couple of years ago that the new boys wanted it out and Catia only...

Word of caution when planning on using dynamic turning. Check the back clearance angles of the inserts you plan to use. If your feedrate is high enough and the back angle is minimal you can get a condition where you are pushing material with the face of the insert in addition to the cutting face. this will "pop" and insert quickly. That is why threading tools for fast pitch threads actually tilt the insert. 

11 hours ago, gcode said:

On the downside, the operators hate it. Due to the extended length of the tools, the operation is very noisy

and hearing protection is mandatory.

Chatter or the squeeling of the round insert?

8 hours ago, YoDoug® said:

Word of caution when planning on using dynamic turning. Check the back clearance angles of the inserts you plan to use. If your feedrate is high enough and the back angle is minimal you can get a condition where you are pushing material with the face of the insert in addition to the cutting face. this will "pop" and insert quickly. That is why threading tools for fast pitch threads actually tilt the insert. 

Am I wrong or can only round inserts be used?

4 minutes ago, jlw™ said:

Chatter or the squeeling of the round insert?

round insert squealling

I'm typically running 500sfm .08DOC and .024ipr on parts from 3 to 6 feet in diameter

the holder sings pretty loud

4 minutes ago, jlw™ said:

Am I wrong or can only round inserts be used?

you are not wrong.. dynamic lathe only supports round inserts.