Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

[X9] Undercut with Slot Cutter using Surface Flowline Cutting Wrong Side

Hey yall, X9 user here.

I'm trying to use a slot cutter to surface the drafted conical surface on this part.

I've got it generating toolpaths as you can see from the screenshots but I am struggling to get it to use the upper part of the tool instead of the lower one. Check out the screen shot.

The toolpaths are in the right shape but wrong size and location. It seems to be using the bottom of the slot cutter instead of the top. Any ideas? Any hints on undercutting in X9 in general? 

Capture6 undercut prob.PNG

Capture5 undercut prob.PNG

I no longer have X9 installed so can't be much help in a file way....

How is the tool defined? As a standard tool or as a custom tool?

i would also create that as a single surface as well....

Watch your flowline lines and make sure they are on the outside and not the inside

36 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Try defining the tool as a full radius tool. That is about the only way to get the path to not use the tool bottom as the contact point. To machine the full surface with the tool you defined, you would have to extend the surface by the width of your tool.

i've also in situations like this, transformed / created wireframe geometry on tool center and use for example a 2d swept with a zero or .0001 dia tool.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Mjölnir said:

i've also in situations like this, transformed / created wireframe geometry on tool center and use for example a 2d swept with a zero or .0001 dia tool.

I've offset surfaces, created a path on bottom plane, then used the backplot geo to drive from the center of the tool.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...