Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Sandvik Coromant Y Axis Parting

Has anyone tried this method of parting off?

I've recently trialled it, and got very favourable results. Really nice parting blade with coolant being applied both over and under the insert. I ran a feedrate twice what I would normally run, and it cut well, with a better finish than normal.

The only drawback is our U3000 doesn't have constant surface speed on the Y axis, and no amount of cheating managed to get it to do so (I did try coordinate rotation but it was a no go)

new technology brings new problems. The only way I have seen was to break up the y axis movements and command a S speed at each line. You still will not get a true CSS but you can get it closer than a G97. I have heard some talk about this but not sure what will come yet.

17 minutes ago, Brad Lisle said:

new technology brings new problems. The only way I have seen was to break up the y axis movements and command a S speed at each line. You still will not get a true CSS but you can get it closer than a G97. I have heard some talk about this but not sure what will come yet.

The only Okuma with Y axis CSS is in Charlotte... :) I was in touch with them before I tried the method myself. I'm not sure how they did it (I'm assuming a software "hack"), because using the G11 axis rotation still resulted in the physical X axis driving the speed.

maybe a dumb idea..

could your program an X axis facing cut out is safe space on the lower turret

sync it to the Y axis parting tool and use the fake X axis facing cut to drive CSS at the spindle?

or if you can't sync it, maybe you could feed the Y in IPR federate and drive the spindle with the fake facing cut

• Like 1
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:23 AM, gcode said:

maybe a dumb idea..

could your program an X axis facing cut out is safe space on the lower turret

sync it to the Y axis parting tool and use the fake X axis facing cut to drive CSS at the spindle?

or if you can't sync it, maybe you could feed the Y in IPR federate and drive the spindle with the fake facing cut

You could be on to something Mr G...

That could either work, or confuse the h3ll out of the controller... LOL

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:32 AM, Chris Kozell said:

Yup, talked to the Okuma AE that will be showing this at IMTS, there is a solution but its something that needs to be requested from Okuma to activate.

Holy sh**! Chris Kozell in the house? :)

Yes, already requested this from Okuma. I'll probably have to wait a couple of years though 😂

• 4 weeks later...

I understand the reasoning for the cutter. The forces are towards the solid body making it stronger. However, instead of positioning in X and cutting in Y, couldn't they just reorient the blade so you position in Y and cut in X? Especially in MT machines with lots of Y travel. 

5 hours ago, YoDoug® said:

I understand the reasoning for the cutter. The forces are towards the solid body making it stronger. However, instead of positioning in X and cutting in Y, couldn't they just reorient the blade so you position in Y and cut in X? Especially in MT machines with lots of Y travel. 

This is my thought exactly.  Why can't we do this in X?

• 11 months later...
On 10/4/2018 at 3:13 AM, jlw™ said:

This is my thought exactly.  Why can't we do this in X?

I though about this recently as well!

Best answer I came up with is that setup lenght on a similar tool for X-axis cutting would be hard to set because you would need an Y-axis offset for the tool,

and usually you can't probe a tool in Y-axis direction..

Does this make sense?

Anyway.. I am struggling to make G96 work with Y-axis cutting on a Mazak Nexus 350 MY with 640T version of Mazatrol.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Right now the spindle is going straight up to my defined "G50 Sxxx" speed when moving to X0 to start Y-axis cutting..

I read somewhere that G96 Sxxx P2 M03 could make the machine use Y-axis as reference for the G96, but nothing happened.