Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Power supply toast on my computer

Roger

Came in 2 days ago, and found my computer wasn't on. (Dell T5600)  So, I attempted to turn it on.  The power light came on flashing amber, along with all the drive lights flashing.  Long story short, my power supply was toasted!, also the video card was a goner!!!, (Nvidia Quadro K5000).  We have 2 of these computers here, so swapped out the power supply/video card from the one to mine, and our IT guys remotely got mine back working.

Looking at the video cards fan, It's nasty with dust, and other YUCK!  Do you think this could cause the damage?  Do any of you clean your computers?  How often?  With what?  What is your environment?

Have you ever had this happen?

Power supplies go....it happens....and they can and do take other peripherals with them

As far as cleaning, really environment dependent.....office environment, not typically.....shop, yeah they better get blown out occasionally less the fans seize and it overheat.. 

1 hour ago, Roger said:

Looking at the video cards fan, It's nasty with dust, and other YUCK!  Do you think this could cause the damage?

absolutely

the dust acts like an insulating blanket, trapping the heat and cooking the components

This is one of the main causes of computer  failure

7 minutes ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

If you blow out a computer with compressed air, hold the fans from spinning.  They can and will act as a generator and blow your electronics.  Don't ask me how I know.

I would have never thought of that but it makes perfect sense.

1 hour ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

If you blow out a computer with compressed air, hold the fans from spinning.  They can and will act as a generator and blow your electronics.  Don't ask me how I know.

A prophylactic option:

https://dirtbag.biz/products/tower-covers

Thanks for the link!!  ORDERED!!!!  This is one of those "closing the barn door AFTER the horse ran away, stories!  Thanks everyone..............

• Like 1

Few years ago we had a desktop install in the receiving just next to the welding department, due to grinder fine metals particle the computer caught fire by itself , the power supply fan was acting like a flame thrower  🤣

We baught enclosure to prevent this in the future 

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

A prophylactic option:

https://dirtbag.biz/products/tower-covers

+100 to dirtbags!

I shipped some over to the UK and they worked a treat on the shop floor PC's

All of our shop computers are blown out and cleaned every quarter by a trained shop maintenance guy.

We lost 5 power supplies in a month a while back on computers that were in a clean office. Some of them actually started smoking. It turned out we were having brownouts (SDGE) and the power supply didn't like the low voltage. I have since installed UPS's on every computer that I can. I also made sure every computer had a surge protector with at least 700 Joule protection. I was surprised how many "power strips" we had.

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Roger said:

This is what I think it will go like...........🤔 My look-------😖 😖 The boss's look!  Just kidding............he might go for it.

buy the smallest about of ram possible from Dell .. then upgrade it yourself .. and save about a $1K

• Like 1

Dell does charge a pretty penny for their RAM. They act like it is made out of unobtainium or something.

That said, be sure if you do the upgrade yourself, that you are buying the correct speed RAM for your system. I've seen people buy RAM that wasn't matched to their System Bus speed, and it caused all kinds of performance issues. The one nice thing about spec'ing RAM through Dell is that all the components are designed to work together as a whole system, and it will all be covered under warranty, through Dell, and if any problems rear their ugly head, Dell will be responsible for fixing the issue. I have had generally positive experiences when dealing with issues through Dell's warranty in the past.

28 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Dell does charge a pretty penny for their RAM. They act like it is made out of unobtainium or something.

That said, be sure if you do the upgrade yourself, that you are buying the correct speed RAM for your system. I've seen people buy RAM that wasn't matched to their System Bus speed, and it caused all kinds of performance issues. The one nice thing about spec'ing RAM through Dell is that all the components are designed to work together as a whole system, and it will all be covered under warranty, through Dell, and if any problems rear their ugly head, Dell will be responsible for fixing the issue. I have had generally positive experiences when dealing with issues through Dell's warranty in the past.

I think our IT people are building this one, so I don't think there should be a problem with miss matched components.  Thanks.

• Like 1