Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Changing X positive direction

parallax7761@comcast.net

Hi guys, I am machining a project where the customer has submitted the print with X positive to the left. Y positive still points north and z positive is down into the plate. It is basically like the drawing was made from the bottom view. I am being asked to have my program reflect the X direction to the left while having Z positive go back to normal(z positive movement going away from work) Do you know of anyway to just change direction of X in mastercam while having y and z stay normal. I know this violates all logic and common rules of Cartesian coordinates but I thought I'd ask you all before pulling my hair out at the ridiculous things customers request. I already told my boss this was insane and we should tell them to make a normal drawing but apparently they refused.

• Huh? 1

If I set my wcs to bottom any movement to the left is still negative X. what they are asking is insane they want the machine to show the X value getting larger as it moves to the left just like the drawing. I convinced my boss to have a meeting on this it sounds very unusual hopefully I can avoid it. Also Jparis I thought about rotating and such but non of that achieves what they are asking me to do as far as the machine moving to the left and the x value getting larger, to me it sounds like that could be done by messing with the machine but I'm not sure how all that would play out. 

2 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Hi guys, I am machining a project where the customer has submitted the print with X positive to the left. Y positive still points north and z positive is down into the plate. It is basically like the drawing was made from the bottom view. I am being asked to have my program reflect the X direction to the left while having Z positive go back to normal(z positive movement going away from work) Do you know of anyway to just change direction of X in mastercam while having y and z stay normal. I know this violates all logic and common rules of Cartesian coordinates but I thought I'd ask you all before pulling my hair out at the ridiculous things customers request. I already told my boss this was insane and we should tell them to make a normal drawing but apparently they refused.

Mcam is locked into right hand rule Cartesian coordinates, you can't flip only the X axis 180deg, either the Z or Y are going to move as well.

Tell the customer to pound sand. Aslong as part is correct what does it matter how you got from point A to B. You should be more concerned about profit, accuracy, and effeciancy not  X sign thats irrelevant.

Ive had stupid drawings over the years and first thing I do is do some math and dimention it correctly.

4 hours ago, pullo said:

scalex$ = -1 ,  also fastmode$ had to be 0.   Also the Olivetti people did not think that sticking to the rules in their Biesse machine was a good rthing so their coordinate system is srewey-lewey .

Gracjan

Using scalex$, scaley$, and scalez$ is only safe in wire posts. 

WOW Thanks to all of you who replied, luckily my manager saw it like Codeworx. We decided the operators wouldn't be thrown off that the print is backwards. The only difference will be that the program has -X values when the print shows positive and vice versa. I did try changing my table group how someone suggested and the setting looked promising, where you select the direction of positive motion and I selected -x it didn't change anything though as far as I could tell. Anyway thank you all