Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

All user settings.......Gone

Programinator

I had an issue similar to this at one point and it was because our IT put all of our documents folders onto a shared drive and somehow it was causing issues, we moved our Documents folder back to C:\Users\Name and everything started working like it should. 

So with that being said i suggest Right Clicking on your Documents Folder, Go To Properties, Click Location and see where your Documents folder is located, if its on a shared or network location move it to a local directory.  The reason this is important is Config and related settings are by default stored in the Documents folder and also if the software cant find the My Mcam folder when it looks for it it builds a new one which might even explain why settings could have been reset back if this was part of the issue,

The My Mcam folder can also be Re-Directed into another location but you must let the Config do the moving and do not do it manually and this gets done in the configuration on the Files Tab.

JoshC,   none of that was true in my case.  I has a backup CONFIG folder thankfully and i just replaced it with the one that was in the my mcam folder and that did the trick.  Glad i made that backup a few months ago.  I could not troubleshoot it for a while cus i had a hot job.  What a pain not having all your settings like your used to.  took me 3 times as long to complete what i was doing

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Programinator said:

JoshC,   none of that was true in my case.  I has a backup CONFIG folder thankfully and i just replaced it with the one that was in the my mcam folder and that did the trick.  Glad i made that backup a few months ago.  I could not troubleshoot it for a while cus i had a hot job.  What a pain not having all your settings like your used to.  took me 3 times as long to complete what i was doing

Ok good news, Backups to the rescue!

I use WinRAR... for free.  I have for about a decade.  I guess I should pony up and pay up but it just keeps doing what I need it to do.  I right click on my "shared mcam" folder, create a zip file of it then add "my mcam" to it.  I then move that to a dedicated folder on my Dropbox.  There I can have it for ever and I can access it any where so I have my posts and configs any where I go.  Even if on my phone, I have it.  Not to mention my back up.

Here's a 1 min video as that's about how long it takes.  I do it once a week if I remember.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4q1mzwd1qkynpw/Recording %2363.mp4?dl=0

• Thanks 1
On 9/7/2018 at 2:54 PM, Programinator said:

What a pain not having all your settings like your used to.  took me 3 times as long to complete what i was doing

Simply *having* the ability to customize is both a blessing and a curse. When something like this happens and you can't get back to "your settings," it's a curse. It's only a curse because that's what you're familiar with. Had you made no customizitions to the default settings, you'd already be used to working with the defaults and you wouldn't even have noticed that there was a problem.

If you customize things to your liking (which I do too), you need to backup all of the necessary files to a safe place that can easily be restored. Config files, tool libraries, ops libraries, posts, RMB, defaults files, etc. I'd even recommend making multiple backup files in multiple locations, just in case.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Leon82 said:

What's the correct way to backup? Just copy the config file?

You need to copy all the files that are important (customized) to you and keep the latest versions easily accessible (and backup up too!). Tool libraries, holder libraries, power settings (or whatever they're called, I'm not a wire guy), posts, configs, defaults, CSVs, machine/control defs, RMB, workspaces, macros....etc. Then, if things get jazzed up, you can copy/paste your files over the MC default files and be back in business in no time.

7 hours ago, jlw™ said:

I use WinRAR... for free.  I have for about a decade.  I guess I should pony up and pay up but it just keeps doing what I need it to do.  I right click on my "shared mcam" folder, create a zip file of it then add "my mcam" to it.  I then move that to a dedicated folder on my Dropbox.  There I can have it for ever and I can access it any where so I have my posts and configs any where I go.  Even if on my phone, I have it.  Not to mention my back up.

That same thing can be done with standard zip files. You used to have to use the free version of WinZip, like you are with WinRAR, but now it's built into Winblows (select the files, right click, add to zip file). It's just a simplified way of the previous method that I mentioned, minus the little bit of compression that you gain.

Alright guys, I decided to go ahead and automate this.  The easiest way is to make a batch file and run it with Task Scheduler.  Since WinRar is free and will run from the command line I'm going to use it.

Here's the video:

Using notepad, create a text file and copy and paste the following into it.  You will have to change the destinations to suit but here are the commands for the batch file:

C:\"Program Files"\WinRar\rar a -agyyyymmdd G:\Jeremy\Documents\Dropbox\Dropbox\SMSLLC\Mastercam\BACKUP\.zip C:\Users\Public\Documents\"shared Mcam2019"
C:\"Program Files"\WinRar\rar a -agyyyymmdd G:\Jeremy\Documents\Dropbox\Dropbox\SMSLLC\Mastercam\BACKUP\.zip G:\Jeremy\Documents\"my Mcam2019"

• Like 1
On 9/9/2018 at 9:57 PM, jlw™ said:

Alright guys, I decided to go ahead and automate this.  The easiest way is to make a batch file and run it with Task Scheduler.  Since WinRar is free and will run from the command line I'm going to use it.

Here's the video:

Using notepad, create a text file and copy and paste the following into it.  You will have to change the destinations to suit but here are the commands for the batch file:

C:\"Program Files"\WinRar\rar a -agyyyymmdd G:\Jeremy\Documents\Dropbox\Dropbox\SMSLLC\Mastercam\BACKUP\.zip C:\Users\Public\Documents\"shared Mcam2019"
C:\"Program Files"\WinRar\rar a -agyyyymmdd G:\Jeremy\Documents\Dropbox\Dropbox\SMSLLC\Mastercam\BACKUP\.zip G:\Jeremy\Documents\"my Mcam2019"

Thank you! I've been looking for an automated solution for a while now!

13 hours ago, SlaveCam said:

Winrar is NOT free, it has a 40 day trial period.

On 9/8/2018 at 4:57 PM, jlw™ said:

I use WinRAR... for free.  I have for about a decade. 

Well, apparently the trial period is at least a decade. 🤣

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to share this, JDub.

• Like 2