Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Measuring inside groove diameter (Best tool for)

Roger

I've been getting parts lately that have inside grooves with somewhat tight tolerances.  What measuring device do you recommend for this?  I'm looking for something with the

broadest range, somewhere around, 1"-2.5" (interchangeable tips maybe), at an ECONOMICAL PRICE , and easy to use.

What does your shop use?  What brand, etc.

Untitled.jpg.9712fae37b888847f40b2f4003ac7e97.jpg

13 minutes ago, AHarrison1 said:

Hi All,

First time posting here.

Why not finish the bore diameter with the same tool that you are cutting the groove with?

That way the groove diameter becomes tool controlled then all you have to really measure is the bore.

That would be a lot of assuming on a part with a .001" tolerance.

1 hour ago, AHarrison1 said:

Hi All,

First time posting here.

Why not finish the bore diameter with the same tool that you are cutting the groove with?

That way the groove diameter becomes tool controlled then all you have to really measure is the bore.

Are you familiar with lathe programming?  I'm using a grooving tool for cutting the groove, and a boring bar for the bore.  A grooving tool is not designed for boring.  IMHO.

57 minutes ago, Mark VIII said:

That would be a lot of assuming on a part with a .001" tolerance.

^^^^AND THIS^^^^

1 minute ago, Roger said:

Are you familiar with lathe programming?  I'm using a grooving tool for cutting the groove, and a boring bar for the bore.  A grooving tool is not designed for boring.  IMHO.

Yes, very familiar actually. A company I used to work for made hydraulic cylinders, multi stage rotary spools, manifolds, etc,etc. for heave machinery for pressures up to 5000 psi.

I did all of their lathe programming.

For some of the oil seal grooves that could not be reached with a measuring tool were then tool controlled by having the groove bar cut a land that could be measured.

This practice was also verified by cmm. 

We used this method to control the depth of any and all grooves whether they were on pistons, glands or rotary spools and it proved very effective. 

If the groove happens to be wider than the tool you are using then essentially you are boring the bottom land of the groove with a grooving tool.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, AHarrison1 said:

This practice was also verified by cmm.

^^Don't have one.^^ 

So, when I send a part out the door to a customer, I don't like it coming back, because I didn't / couldn't measure it.  I think tool pressure is also something to consider....Just saying..

Welcome to the Forum!!  And thanks for your replies!!

I generally try to avoid cutting bores with groove tools. Groovers tend to run slower to avoid chatter. Therefore, your boring tools would also need to run slower. Take into consideration that when roughing a groove you get a lot of pressure, and you cannot verify that you are leaving the same amount of finish stock, as you would for rough boring. That may work fine and dandy for the first 3 parts, but when you rough groover starts deflecting more with wear, it might bite you in the xxxx.

3 minutes ago, Mark VIII said:

I generally try to avoid cutting bores with groove tools. Groovers tend to run slower to avoid chatter. Therefore, your boring tools would also need to run slower. Take into consideration that when roughing a groove you get a lot of pressure, and you cannot verify that you are leaving the same amount of finish stock, as you would for rough boring. That may work fine and dandy for the first 3 parts, but when you rough groover starts deflecting more with wear, it might bite you in the xxxx. 

EXACTLY!

16 minutes ago, Goldorak said:

I think that Del's method is the best and also the cheaper 

I agree.  Where can you get balls in different sizes?  (I would need one between .118"-.139").  Groove depth/width control what size.  I also have parts with other dimensions.

16 minutes ago, Mark VIII said:

I would rather have a Mueller gage than trust an operator to do the math. There are many ID grooves in the turning world. That gage will check many of them consistently and accurately.

We're looking into this.  We've not been able to see a price yet.  (I'm the operator/programmer, so I don't have to trust anyone else.)  😀