Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Measuring inside groove diameter (Best tool for)

Roger

12 minutes ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Where possible on tight work, I'd always go with AHarrisons process.

And PHorn tooling. Finish Turn and groove and groove and turn with the one tool. Chamfers/deburr/blends always spot on too.

For on machine measuring, I don't think you can beat an Interapid

Capture.JPG

321311061_Untitled2.thumb.jpg.a7edaf7aba34e3e43955deca413f9085.jpg

"Chamfers/deburr/blends always spot on too".  I never considered this.  Thanks!!

3 hours ago, AHarrison1 said:

Hi All,

First time posting here.

Why not finish the bore diameter with the same tool that you are cutting the groove with?

That way the groove diameter becomes tool controlled then all you have to really measure is the bore.

I have done this A LOT.  Sometimes all you have is all you're going to get.  Do the best with what you can.  As long as the machine hits and both ends are good, it "should" be good.  I've had to trust my machine plenty of times.  I've even used the "wrong" tool for the job to use this method.  Sometimes, when we work in shops where we have seemingly unending budgets we forget that so many places make do and get by with what they have.

My second choice would be as suggested with ball mics.  Qualify the OD and do the math.

I just wish equipment was my problem.  We need people with a work ethic.  I used to say "good work ethic" but I'm holding out for any work ethic now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 4:31 PM, Roger said:

I agree.  Where can you get balls in different sizes?  (I would need one between .118"-.139").  Groove depth/width control what size.  I also have parts with other dimensions.

We're looking into this.  We've not been able to see a price yet.  (I'm the operator/programmer, so I don't have to trust anyone else.)  😀

IMG_20180925_161648.jpg

On 9/14/2018 at 3:13 AM, Newbeeee™ said:

The point is, yes you can CMM a part, but you can't do that when the part is in the machine.

So without the right measuring equipment, a solid process that "should" work is the way to go, before the part comes off the machine.

Then to inspection for final verification.

Depends on the machine.  Disk on a touch probe could do in machine inspection.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1