Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Horizontal mill programing

Otorres

Im learning how to program a mazak horizontal mill when i program off center everything works good but sometimes i want to do a simple part with no rotations and its own workoffset from corner of part so i set my planes on the part itself but when i post it  my x,y,z numbers are way off. Do i need a different post for this method or just modify my exsisting post in some way. Im completely new to horizontal mills ive only worked with verticals hopefully this makes sense 

12 minutes ago, Mark VIII said:

The post will work for either method.

That may or may not be true....at present there isn't enough information to know that...

A file or a z2g file would be the most help to determine the issue

7 hours ago, Otorres said:

Im learning how to program a mazak horizontal mill when i program off center everything works good but sometimes i want to do a simple part with no rotations and its own workoffset from corner of part so i set my planes on the part itself but when i post it  my x,y,z numbers are way off. Do i need a different post for this method or just modify my exsisting post in some way. Im completely new to horizontal mills ive only worked with verticals hopefully this makes sense  

Since you are treating the "simple part" as a 3-Axis (no rotation), you should set the WCS, C-Plane and T-plane origin to the corner of the part where you want the Work Offset to be located. That will tell your Post that the corner is 0,0,0.

just doing a simple 3axis part with own work offset not a prob but still use wcs top and front or which ever side you want to use for the correct rotation to be posted out for the side of the tombstone you wish to use . I program a Mazak hori too so if you need help just ask

I also program a Mazak Horizontal as well.  I have everything I need in one post, rotations included, except the B axis is called out using mi10 - something I created myself.  It's probably easier to post automatically, but I do like having control on the mi10 option as we don't always use complex rotations outside of the normal 0, 90, 180, 270 rotations.

I do use planes for the rotations, the B axis doesn't automatically post them since I had a way of avoiding that.   Everything normal, I don't use planes much, except if I have more than one work offset.

I also converted an existing VMC post and made the needed mods for the horizontal, did a few tests to make sure the codes were right and that was it.  I have zero issues posting / programming for the Mazak Horizontal.   Everything is in top view for ease of flipping programs between our two VMC's.

35 minutes ago, JeremyV said:

I have everything I need in one post, rotations included, except the B axis is called out using mi10 - something I created myself.  It's probably easier to post automatically, but I do like having control on the mi10 option as we don't always use complex rotations outside of the normal 0, 90, 180, 270 rotations.

I do use planes for the rotations, the B axis doesn't automatically post them since I had a way of avoiding that.   Everything normal, I don't use planes much, except if I have more than one work offset.

DANGEROUS!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JeremyV said:

I also program a Mazak Horizontal as well.  I have everything I need in one post, rotations included, except the B axis is called out using mi10 - something I created myself.  It's probably easier to post automatically, but I do like having control on the mi10 option as we don't always use complex rotations outside of the normal 0, 90, 180, 270 rotations.

I also converted an existing VMC post and made the needed mods for the horizontal, did a few tests to make sure the codes were right and that was it.  I have zero issues posting / programming for the Mazak Horizontal.   Everything is in top view for ease of flipping programs between our two VMC's.

UHHH, okay? Why don't you want MC posting B angles? I worked with a few people who used to think the same way. It took a few slaps upside the head before the finally saw the light.

• Haha 1

ok, a totally off topic post. my boss loves mazaks, he has around 8 mills and 12 lathes. dont these machines have their own programming language built into them? why would you use mastercam then? ive jumped onto a vertical a few times and made programs in .eia using mastercam. im just trying to understand this more. so are you using mastercam and programming in .eia or what? seriously confused???

6 minutes ago, Grimes said:

ok, a totally off topic post. my boss loves mazaks, he has around 8 mills and 12 lathes. dont these machines have their own programming language built into them? why would you use mastercam then? ive jumped onto a vertical a few times and made programs in .eia using mastercam. im just trying to understand this more. so are you using mastercam and programming in .eia or what? seriously confused???

Mazatrol is a language all on to itself and it a macro based language and for basic parts yes I can program on them all day long. Problem is getting that code out of them and then being able to sue it on something else. The other problem is your standing at a machine programming it and most times the machine is not running since your programming it. .eia with Mazatrol for tool control is a nice process, but tying up a machine to stand in front and program all day when it can be making parts is not a good way to make money.  How does the programmer keep the machine running if he is programming it? Does the operator get preference? How many machine can you program standing in front of and support at one time? I had 14 machines at one shop from Lathes, 4th Axis VMC, 4th Axis HMC to an Integrex I keep running by myself with Mastercam. If I had to run between 20 machines and program them all in Mazatrol I would find me a new job very quickly.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Mazatrol is a language all on to itself and it a macro based language and for basic parts yes I can program on them all day long. Problem is getting that code out of them and then being able to sue it on something else. The other problem is your standing at a machine programming it and most times the machine is not running since your programming it. .eia with Mazatrol for tool control is a nice process, but tying up a machine to stand in front and program all day when it can be making parts is not a good way to make money.  How does the programmer keep the machine running if he is programming it? Does the operator get preference? How many machine can you program standing in front of and support at one time? I had 14 machines at one shop from Lathes, 4th Axis VMC, 4th Axis HMC to an Integrex I keep running by myself with Mastercam. If I had to run between 20 machines and program them all in Mazatrol I would find me a new job very quickly.

so long story short youre programming in .eia? ok. 5th you helped me out more than you will know. thanks

42 minutes ago, Grimes said:

so long story short youre programming in .eia? ok. 5th you helped me out more than you will know. thanks

Sorry I was thinking your asking why program in Mastercam and not in Mazatrol. Yes you can program in .eia all day long with Mastercam. Before I had CAM I programmed in .eia with pencil and paper. I use to make 4th Axis roll dies and all kinds of surfacing programs pencil and paper. VTC with T32 control then Fusion was my bread and butter for many years.

I currently work in a full on Mazak shop.  24 machines and 20 are Mazak.  I get so tired of hearing how great Mazatrol is.  Mazatrol is great for SIMPLE parts.  You can do a lot with Mazatrol but it requires standing at the machine or using the quite expensive off-line software from Mazak.  Yes, I will do quick little projects of my own at the panel when I only need to poke one hole or mill a face.  While Smooth brings trochoidal milling to the table it's still just as limited to 2.5axis machining.  Mazatrol lathe is pretty decent but it also has it's limits.  Put a groove on a taper so that the grove is normal to the taper.  Not happening.  If it were that great I wouldn't have a job using Mastercam in a shop where the owner thinks Mazatrol is better than CAM software.  It's all I hear all the time, Mazatrol, Mazatrol, Mazatrol... hey, can you program this right quick?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1