Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Upgraded

junky programmer

29 minutes ago, CJep said:

I believe the argument has more to do with the Microsoft UI, most all current Windows programs are running a ribbon based interface

My understanding from what CNC said, is that they switched to this UI because more and more people use Excel and other M$ programs. If Mastercam looked more like those, it would entice newer/younger users to buy and learn Mastercam. 

So when they changed, some things had to be cumbersome because of the new UI and they weren't able to incorporate certain things,and we have to deal with it because "there's no going back".

In a nutshell,it's a marketing tactic.

Fishing or just making conversation?

The decision to do what eva with the UI is somebody else's to make

The decision to fight with the software and allow it to $hit on my day repeatedly is mine, I choose work with it instead of against it. I found ways of working with it that make sense to me there are quite a number of methods I used in V6-V9 that I wouldn't use in Mcam 2019. One that I can think of is how I work with and create custom planes. 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, jeff said:

My understanding from what CNC said, is that they switched to this UI because more and more people use Excel and other M$ programs. If Mastercam looked more like those, it would entice newer/younger users to buy and learn Mastercam. 

So when they changed, some things had to be cumbersome because of the new UI and they weren't able to incorporate certain things,and we have to deal with it because "there's no going back".

In a nutshell,it's a marketing tactic.

And while most of us old time users hate the new interface, it seems to be a success as a marketing tactic.

My local dealer told me 2017 was their best year ever for both new sales and maintenance renewals   and 2018 was shaping up to beat that

Long story short for the old timers ...  time marches on, adapt or die

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

The sad thing is: they could do both really easily. There is no reason they can't still include a Drop-Down menu, with text-based command names. Just add an option to "right-click" on the Ribbon name, and they could give us all back our drop-down command menus.

I cannot see how managing 2 interfaces is anything nearing a viable option...what a CF that would be...JM2C

44 minutes ago, JParis said:

I cannot see how managing 2 interfaces is anything nearing a viable option...what a CF that would be...JM2C

It isn't managing "two interfaces". They already have a "right-click menu" inside the Operations Manager. This is simply extending the functionality that already exists in the Ribbon Bar, to give the rest of us, who dislike the ribbon, another way to access the exact same commands.

Does it take some work? Sure. Is it a completely separate interface? No, it is not. It is a menu, with a Function Calls.

• Like 1
Just now, Colin Gilchrist said:

It isn't managing "two interfaces". They already have a "right-click menu" inside the Operations Manager. This is simply extending the functionality that already exists in the Ribbon Bar, to give the rest of us, who dislike the ribbon, another way to access the exact same commands.

Does it take some work? Sure. Is it a completely separate interface? No, it is not. It is a menu, with a Function Call.

OK, not my purview, but ok...I'll take your work on it...

1 hour ago, gcode said:

Long story short for the old timers ...  time marches on, adapt or die

Agreed.

Although I still have X8 installed on my current workstation, and I do find myself doing a quick 'X-form STL' once in a while, just for old time's sake.  :rolleyes:

Other than that, I think CJep is right on point. 

Adapting to the new software rather than fighting against it is the path of least resistance for me too. :thumbsup:

The difference between Excel and MC's ribbon is this:

Microsoft arranged their ribbon according to what tools can create an easy flow environment. They also allow complete customization of icon bars, as do most software companies. MC does not. Before ,most of us had custom icon bars where they were most convenient. It was fast, effective. And, that is how other cam packages do it. Customization is key. Just having them places where some office lady thinks they look pretty does not work well. As for pretty icons, who was the genius that decided to change the icon pictures?

The moral of the story is that MC is not Excel, and MC should not be doing things just to keep up with the Jones'. For a good example, check out Gibbs. Gibbs has pretty much the same interface as it did 20 years ago. Once you go back to Gibbs you pretty much know where everything is.

• Like 1

Go find a master craftsman with 30 years experience, put T-handles on all his tools, tell him it's the way of the future, and see what happens.

The tool should fit my hand, not the other way around.  I can understand having training wheels for new users, but there should be a simple and easy way to take them off and ride fast.

• Like 2