Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

6061-O aluminum

1 minute ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Plenty of coolant goes without saying

The applications we use this on are 3X flat table machines with MDF spoil-boards. The machines only have mist coolant, this is part of the reason we have such difficulty with the dead soft 6061...that and the fact that the stuff is, to paraphrase Ron, like cutting bubble gum.

4 hours ago, So not a Guru said:

The applications we use this on are 3X flat table machines with MDF spoil-boards. The machines only have mist coolant, this is part of the reason we have such difficulty with the dead soft 6061...that and the fact that the stuff is, to paraphrase Ron, like cutting bubble gum.

Okay, but it would still be worth giving the Hemi a go. They do cut very well.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, So not a Guru said:

Mix some WD-40 into the mist and see if it helps cutting.

• Like 1

Flame suit on...

I NEVER had any luck with any types of coatings for cutting ally. Tried them a few times over the years because reps would bring in the next wonder tool to try.

Granted, mostly 6082-T6 (v similar to 6061) and 2014-T6 (v similar to 2024) and a bit of 5083 1/2 hard, but for tapping and milling, bright polished shiny carbide won every time for me.

Coolant was Houghtons (Stuart oils Dascosol was before that) and we ran all machines at the same 10% mix, but it just worked really well.

1 hour ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Flame suit on...

I NEVER had any luck with any types of coatings for cutting ally.

Uncoated is definitely reliable.

I've had great success with the Stealth coating from Destiny Tool, I use their Doamondback endmills in 6061-T6 and they last way longer than any other endmill I've used, coated or uncoated.

ZrN isn't bad, but it's not great either.

• Like 1