Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Import ".stp" Issue

Spotterhphc

I am having an issue when opening a customer model. I import models the same way every time and have for years. The issue with this part is that when i import the ".stp" file it meshes all entities together as one (thread inserts) and seems to add a whole bunch of O-ring looking features. The O-rings, when i hover over, they highlight as if they are their own entity but when i click it the entire part selects. I would upload the file for you to try but i can't due to ITAR. If i bring the model in as surfaces only, the part looks perfect with no additional "O-Rings". When the surfaces are made there are about 30k of them. Any ideas on why surfaces work but not solids?

Thanks for any input 😀

Sounds like a model tolerance issue. The "o-rings" are probably fillet areas, where the trimming isn't working, so the translator creates a "torus shape" instead of the properly trimmed fillet.

If the model comes in as surfaces, just drive the toolpaths off the surfaces. You can also 'stitch' the surfaces into a solid if you really need the model as a solid.

We also have seats of AD Inventor and UGNX, when I hit a snag I'll open and convert it back in another software.

In inventor it trees up all the bodies nicely. (grabbing only the main body and exporting as a step again.)

If its not proprietary i'm sure someone here would be happy to help you separate it.

I agree with the native "tolerance" issue prior to .step export. 

• Like 1

I am not able to Upload anything due to ITAR otherwise I would. Thanks for the offer though. We do have a software we are supposed to use that Checks the saved Mastercam model to the Native customer with a set tolerance and it states whether it passes or fails. In this current state it would fail with flying colors. 

1 hour ago, Spotterhphc said:

I never get a prompt to do anything it just goes straight into loading it. Leon82 I know what you're talking about and for some reason that prompt doesn't show up. I do see it from time to time though.

In the configuration settings , the prompt box is probably unchecked.

• 2 weeks later...