Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Curve All Edges flattens wireframe geometry

powerfulp

Hello -

I am running Mastercam 2018.  I imported a model, it was an iges file.  I could not select on any edges when I went to Analyze Distance mode, so I selected the entire model and used Curve All Edges.  That flattened out all the wireframe geometry (which was weird - see attachment), and I was still unable to select anything on the model when in the "Analyze Distance" mode.  When not in any mode, I can select surfaces on the model, but not edges or centerlines of holes, or anything else.

Did I accidentally activate something I shouldn't have?  This flat wireframe geometry thing after Curve All Edges has happened on all my models as of late.  And to make things more confusing, I was still able to select on the edges after I did Curve All Edges every time the wireframe geometry was flattened out, like in the attached image, before now.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Regards,

Paul

Flat wireframe geometry.JPG

4 hours ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

This change still catches me sometimes. 15+ years of muscle memory of not caring about 2D or 3D and I still get tripped up by it.

Yeah and if you're zoomed in it's sticking it out of your view and by the time you realize what happens you've got three of them you got to delete

On 9/21/2018 at 4:35 PM, powerfulp said:

Hello -

I am running Mastercam 2018.  I imported a model, it was an iges file.  I could not select on any edges when I went to Analyze Distance mode, so I selected the entire model and used Curve All Edges.  That flattened out all the wireframe geometry (which was weird - see attachment), and I was still unable to select anything on the model when in the "Analyze Distance" mode.  When not in any mode, I can select surfaces on the model, but not edges or centerlines of holes, or anything else.

Did I accidentally activate something I shouldn't have?  This flat wireframe geometry thing after Curve All Edges has happened on all my models as of late.  And to make things more confusing, I was still able to select on the edges after I did Curve All Edges every time the wireframe geometry was flattened out, like in the attached image, before now.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.

Regards,

Paul

Flat wireframe geometry.JPG

2D/3D as mentioned.  I believe it was 2017 that changed this and it honestly made my workflow faster.  Before, it was create curves, then project.  Now I just set 2D Z where I want it and click away.

That looks like a pretty rigid washing machine.  Maybe it will last more than 3 years. 🤣

1 hour ago, jlw™ said:

I believe it was 2017 that changed this and it honestly made my workflow faster.  Before, it was create curves, then project.  Now I just set 2D Z where I want it and click away.

Yes,

This has been a huge time saver.

It used to be a 3 step process, sometimes requiring hours of fixing tiny overlaps or tiny gaps

in the projected curves.

I used to work with a lazy programmer who would set his chaining tolerance to .005/.010 when he ran into

these gap issues. That worked, but 2 years later when you open his file with a normal gap setting, it blows up

in your face.

The new 2d/3D Create edge command is for the most part self healing and creates tight consistent

chainable entities with one mouse click