Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What is it with this?

Mark VIII

just here for the show,..

you mentioned you imported a vise, where did you get the solid model?
have they modeled all the threads of the cap bolts?
have they modeled all the threaded holes?

I have found when they over detail solid models Mcam gets kicked in the nutts
First thing I do when importing fixtures/vices that will be used is blowup the history, then I start simplifying by removing features that are not required like all the threaded holes.
Here is an example of a four inch Kurt vice, the original file has 30 or so parts I combined solids that didn't have any effect on the setup other than space envelope. The vice assembly has 4 parts, the body the movable body and the jaws, removing the jaws allows me to model soft jaws.

Kurt 4IN Vise .mcam

Cjep. I created the model in NX and did a direct PRT import into MC. Yes, there were some screws that were threaded. No duplicates. Wireframe was not imported except in the few instances of non-detailed threads. Those would have just been a couple of circles each. However, whenever I import a solid, be it from SW or NX, there are always a bunch of non-existing entities that somehow get attached. Usually several thousand. This vise I imported was extremely detailed. Looked like the real thing :) . Right down to the raised embossed lettering and decals and thrust bearings. It was a model of a Toolex RWS-4002 vise. I even modeled an animated disassembly and reassembly. I also have to simplify the solid after importing because it divides all of the cylinders. All together, the import was about a hundred solid pieces that I stripped down to make it usable in MC.

One more thing that I find irritating is in 2019 the box for importing with current attributes is now check by default. That causes more headaches.

25 minutes ago, Mark VIII said:

This vise I imported was extremely detailed. Looked like the real thing :) . Right down to the raised embossed lettering and decals and thrust bearings. It was a model of a Toolex RWS-4002 vise. I even modeled an animated disassembly and reassembly. I also have to simplify the solid after importing because it divides all of the cylinders. All together, the import was about a hundred solid pieces that I stripped down to make it usable in MC.

Yeah, that is way more detail than what's absolutely required. What happens if you save it as a parasolid or step file instead of the direct import?

• Like 1

This was not initially modeled for use in Mastercam.

I converted just the base to a step file from within NX and imported it into MC. That only brought in 1 entity. When I brought the base part file into MC that created over 12000 entities. Also, it seems that you can no longer bring in PRT files along with their original colors. Not cool. And, when I uncheck the load with current attributes box it is like it unloads it and reloads it. Why is this box defaulted to check in 2019?

Image of the vise is below.

1025504620_VISETEST.thumb.JPG.6cce7130a63466596eb8a91c1c22a1d2.JPG

9 hours ago, Mark VIII said:

This was not initially modeled for use in Mastercam.

I converted just the base to a step file from within NX and imported it into MC. That only brought in 1 entity. When I brought the base part file into MC that created over 12000 entities. Also, it seems that you can no longer bring in PRT files along with their original colors. Not cool. And, when I uncheck the load with current attributes box it is like it unloads it and reloads it. Why is this box defaulted to check in 2019?

Image of the vise is below.

1025504620_VISETEST.thumb.JPG.6cce7130a63466596eb8a91c1c22a1d2.JPG

damn...you model your vise nicer than I model my parts....I need to step up my game.

• Thanks 1

MarkVIII,

"...Every time I bring in a solid I end up with THOUSANDS of BS entities..."

"...I converted just the base to a step file from within NX and imported it into MC. That only brought in 1 entity. When I brought the base part file into MC that created over 12000 entities..."

"...Any PRT file will do...."

We only bring in what's in the file. Have you seen what the PRTs look like in a seat of NX or in some other viewer?

Feel free to send us a file or two (email it/them to qc@mastercam,com and cc: me at [email protected]). 

I can take a look and probably tell you why you're getting what you're getting.

"...Also, it seems that you can no longer bring in PRT files along with their original colors. Not cool..."

I'd also like to see an example with this. Are you Merging the file into an existing session? If so there are several settings that might cause that (Attributes, Creating Groups for two). If you're simply opening it, the colors should be maintained.

40 minutes ago, Mark VIII said:

You are just seeing the outside. You should see all of the inner components ;)

That is where it gets impressive.

Making super nice models can be a ton of fun, but it does not add a dime's worth of value

to the CAM file or the gcode we are paid to produce.

• Like 1

Like I said, it was not initially intended for MC. Actually, it does add value to the Cam package when the guy who used to run the fry machine at McDonalds is now runnng a $200,000 CNC and can't understand things like "Flip part 180 degrees around Y axis". Most shops might crash a machine every 6 months. These guys do it every 6 hours.

• Huh? 1
19 hours ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

Interesting comparison.  In Solidworks the shaded model spins butter-smooth but the wireframe is about 1/4 second per frame.  In Mastercam the wireframe display is butter-smooth and the shaded is about 1/10 second per frame.  Quadro M4000.

I have the same problem when comparing TopSolid to Mastercam.  I model in TopSolid and while modeling and building assemblies, everything spins smooth as silk. When I bring the assembly in to Mastercam it moves like I do. Slow and sloppy. 

To be fair, I am using a Geforce card and not  a Quadro, but I don't get that chop with any of the other software that I use - Solidworks OR TopSolid.

44 minutes ago, Neurosis said:

I have the same problem when comparing TopSolid to Mastercam.  I model in TopSolid and while modeling and building assemblies, everything spins smooth as silk. When I bring the assembly in to Mastercam it moves like I do. Slow and sloppy. 

To be fair, I am using a Geforce card and not  a Quadro, but I don't get that chop with any of the other software that I use - Solidworks OR TopSolid.

Try

System Config Solids/ Chord Height

Try bumping the tolerance up a bit.

I typically run models of very large parts and have found this yields smoother graphics motion.

I'm currently running .004"... though I may bump it to .010 for very large parts

also

dial down the number of entities for dynamic rotation

on the Screen/View page

• Thanks 1