Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

how to start a pocket by plunging on a specific point

awjareme

I have some non-center cutting end mills that I would like to pocket with. The pockets are completely through the material. I would like to drill a hole at a point (bigger than the endmill) then plunge at this point and begin the pocket. I always use the dynamic mill option.  I can only find a spot for entry chain which has me select a chain to start at, if I pick a point I get an error. I have resorted to making a really small chain inside my drilled hole and let the end mill helically plunge in this area. The other option is to make the pocket first, use the plunge option under entry and back plot to see where mastercam plans on plunging, then make a toolpath in front of this operation and place my hole there. Is there a better way to do this?

Ok, the air region suggestion works, although a little off center there was still plenty of room around the end mill. Thanks

under plunging and helical entry there is a "center on point" option that is available. I tried this and nothing. Any idea what this is for?

Also I tried the start hole program, never seen that before until now and that worked as well, thank you. Although sometimes if im using hss drills, a center drill first is nice, but I guess I can just copy the operation before and add a center drill

When I use 2D Highspeed and want  the tool to plunge at a certain point I do the following:

1. Chain my machining region

2. Chain my entry point under entry chain

3. Select plunge only under entry method

4. Select center on point

Not sure why you are getting an error.  Make sure you have the point chaining option selected when you chain you entry point.

Ok, after a re-boot this a.m. and creating new geometry, I tried the route of using the "center on point" option and bingo. I don't know what I was doing wrong yesterday but I would get errors constantly. Also looks like there is several ways to accomplish plunging at a specific point. Thanks guys this little thing will save me some time

• Like 1