Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drill pecking

Mark VIII

I see 2019 has improved the drilling sequencing to actually peck (in backplot) and give more accurate cycle times. In order to do it you need to use "subsequent pecks", otherwise it just pecks once for initial pecks. I am wondering if there is a way to auto-populate subsequent pecks with the value of initial pecks so you do not have to retype the value.

5 hours ago, Mark VIII said:

I see 2019 has improved the drilling sequencing to actually peck (in backplot) and give more accurate cycle times. In order to do it you need to use "subsequent pecks", otherwise it just pecks once for initial pecks. I am wondering if there is a way to auto-populate subsequent pecks with the value of initial pecks so you do not have to retype the value.

I'm not aware of any option to "auto" set the Subsequent Peck data entry field. You could cooy/paste, but that won't be much different than filling in the subsequent peck field manually.

Unfortunately, Mastercam has never had "Parameters" that are available as a global setting the way that other CAM software does. It would be great if you could enter a default as a "%-of-Drill-Dia", so it would auto-populate these fields, but there is nothing like that available today. You could technically set the Operation Default value for the Drilling Ops, but that only lets you have a single default value.

Your best option would likely be to create some Operation Libraries, where you can simply 'import' the Operation, with those values already entered. This gets to be cumbersome though, as you'd constantly need to save Ops to the Library, as the tools/materials change.

My favorite option lately is to Import Ops directly from existing Mastercam files, as I've usually got at least one similar type of part. The bonus is that you also import the tool from that Op as well.

• Like 2

That is one thing that I got on-board with early.  In other softwares you can drag an op from one session to another.  I haven't tried it but I believe you can doso in Mastercam as of 2018. 

Yes you can do this in Mastercam2018 & Mastercam2019.

Couldn't you set your values then click the save to defaults icon?  I didn't test this as the post I loaded only had one peck value available but I believe this should work.  Otherwise Colin's suggestion to make an op library with your settings would be best.

peck_drill.png

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:14 AM, jlw™ said:

That is one thing that I got on-board with early.  In other softwares you can drag an op from one session to another.  I haven't tried it but I believe you can doso in Mastercam as of 2018.

I just tried dragging an op from one screen of a different part to my second screen, and that doesn't work.  So, how do you drag ops??

• Like 1

I had this problem yesterday when exporting/importing.  The exporting part has 3 drills 5/16" diameter.  One is a carbide stub drill, one is a carbide 25X drill, and one is a HSS 25X drill.

When I imported all 3 tool paths had the stub drill.  As you can see from the attached .jpg's all the drills had different tool numbers/names in the exporting file, but changed in the importing file to (tool 4 stub drill).  WTH??

IMPORTING.jpg

EXPORTING.jpg

15 minutes ago, Roger said:

Thanks!  That worked!

You have to have it checked when exporting, and also in the importing!

Roger,

You can easily skip the Export step of the process.

Go into the Import Dialog, and click the button for 'browse' under the Source Library.

Change the "File Type" to Mastercam Part Files, and you can now import Ops directly from a Mastercam File.

So much easier than exporting, then importing... 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Roger,

You can easily skip the Export step of the process.

Go into the Import Dialog, and click the button for 'browse' under the Source Library.

Change the "File Type" to Mastercam Part Files, and you can now import Ops directly from a Mastercam File.

So much easier than exporting, then importing... 

That does sound easy. I wonder if it works. ;)

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Roger said:

I had this problem yesterday when exporting/importing.  The exporting part has 3 drills 5/16" diameter.  One is a carbide stub drill, one is a carbide 25X drill, and one is a HSS 25X drill.

When I imported all 3 tool paths had the stub drill.  As you can see from the attached .jpg's all the drills had different tool numbers/names in the exporting file, but changed in the importing file to (tool 4 stub drill).  WTH??

IMPORTING.jpg

EXPORTING.jpg

You have to disable number sequentially in thesettings before you import or it will resort your tools.

The only advantage to doing the Export is having a central location to pull Ops from, if you do a lot of work that tends to vary. In those cases though, I like to make sure I am detailed in naming the Operation Group, and including the Group name during the Export. Otherwise trying to sort through hundreds of similar Ops becomes increasingly difficult.

At least if you know where your 'similar part' is located, it helps to only have to pull the Ops from a single file. At least it helps me anyway. Your mileage may vary. 😉