Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

On FANUC is there a parameter that controls how much it moves after receiving the skip signal?

It is critical that you run the Probe Calibration routines that come with the Probing package. By running the Calibration routine, the software runs against a "known gauge", and it will measure "where the skip signal is" in relation to the known gauge size. This then allows the software to compensate for the difference between the "coast amount" when it does the Probe hits.

It is absolutely critical that you always use the same Probe Feedrate in your measuring cycles as you did in the Calibration Cycle. Do not use a different feed value, or your measurement will no longer be valid.

Also, what size is your Ring Gauge? I've seen in the Renishaw documentation somewhere where it recommended a minimum of a 2" ID gauge, with a larger ID allowing the calibration cycle to give more accurate results.

Personally, I always try to use a 4" or larger ID Ring Guage to calibrate my probes.

How often are you running the Calibration Cycle? Probing is not a static process. It is a dynamic process, where a lot of pieces of the puzzle can change over time. You should be running the Calibration Cycle a minimum of once a week, and for high-accuracy results, you should run it at the beginning of each shift.

For Probes that allow a 2-hit cycle, I'll typically use 100 IPM for the 1st hit, and 3-6 IPM for the 2nd hit. If I'm only doing single touch, and need high accuracy, then 2-4 IPM is what I use. If accuracy is not as critical, you can get in the 10-20 IPM range, but your results will suffer for the faster measuring speed. Now, that's all relative of course, but slow is the way to go, if you are trying to hold tenths (.0001) or better.

Some versions of the Renishaw software have a Probe Settings Macro, which allows you to run the Calibration Cycle at different speeds, and save/load different sets of calibration results. This allows you to measure with different speeds, by loading the correct set of calibration data, prior to executing the measuring cycles.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

It is critical that you run the Probe Calibration routines that come with the Probing package. By running the Calibration routine, the software runs against a "known gauge", and it will measure "where the skip signal is" in relation to the known gauge size. This then allows the software to compensate for the difference between the "coast amount" when it does the Probe hits.

It is absolutely critical that you always use the same Probe Feedrate in your measuring cycles as you did in the Calibration Cycle. Do not use a different feed value, or your measurement will no longer be valid.

Also, what size is your Ring Gauge? I've seen in the Renishaw documentation somewhere where it recommended a minimum of a 2" ID gauge, with a larger ID allowing the calibration cycle to give more accurate results.

Personally, I always try to use a 4" or larger ID Ring Guage to calibrate my probes.

How often are you running the Calibration Cycle? Probing is not a static process. It is a dynamic process, where a lot of pieces of the puzzle can change over time. You should be running the Calibration Cycle a minimum of once a week, and for high-accuracy results, you should run it at the beginning of each shift.

For Probes that allow a 2-hit cycle, I'll typically use 100 IPM for the 1st hit, and 3-6 IPM for the 2nd hit. If I'm only doing single touch, and need high accuracy, then 2-4 IPM is what I use. If accuracy is not as critical, you can get in the 10-20 IPM range, but your results will suffer for the faster measuring speed. Now, that's all relative of course, but slow is the way to go, if you are trying to hold tenths (.0001) or better.

Some versions of the Renishaw software have a Probe Settings Macro, which allows you to run the Calibration Cycle at different speeds, and save/load different sets of calibration results. This allows you to measure with different speeds, by loading the correct set of calibration data, prior to executing the measuring cycles.

I calibrated today, the default value is 100 for the first hit and 1.2 for the second. 

The supatouch, optimizes by making 80 hits to find the optimal feed rate. It also decides if it needs a two hit or 1 hit cycle. It also calibrates at spindle orientation and 180°. It's possible they loaded an different package into the controller.i was merely curious.

The older instalations seems to be missing one of the macro programs as well.

the boss man asked for a quote upgrade the other five machines to Supatouch. They must hate money because they never sent the quote apparently.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Codeworx said:

supatuch is a check box when generating the macros, there is some parameter/rensttings fine tuning involved.

image.png.7b6e3f7e194e4fcf68e1241cbb32b07c.png

I've never seen that interface before. They just loaded the macros in the machine and we have a backup USB.

The porbes installed by yamazin are missing the 9818 macro programs

7 hours ago, Leon82 said:

I've never seen that interface before. They just loaded the macros in the machine and we have a backup USB.

The porbes installed by yamazin are missing the 9818 macro programs

You should have a cd/usb that came with your probe that have the macro creation software. If of course your company bought the inspection + software.

I'll have to look. We have the USB from the renishaw probes. I'll have to browse the content. I'm not involved in the purchasing

The 5 old were installed by yamizen. The new one with the supatoich was done by pqi and they have a USB in addition to the renishaw usb

We don't have the  mastercam probe add-on if that's what you mean

The amount of "coast" after the touch is purely decel.  Likely your time constant is pretty large, or it has very low acc/dec parameters.  These should have little effect on the probing accuracy as the "high speed skip" doesn't care what the machine is doing.  It takes a snapshot of axis position when the skip signal is read.  The probe position is not the position that the machine stops at.   Should have less error than you are measuring to.  The most important thing for probing accuracy is making sure you are at a constant/stable velocity when you make the touch.  Violent acc/dec parameters will invariably cause false triggers, and machine vibration which will affect accuracy.  More trigger approach distance usually is the solution for this.

I would look into the acc/dec time constant parameter.  Is it possible you are running the probe in AICC?

2 hours ago, huskermcdoogle said:

The amount of "coast" after the touch is purely decel.  Likely your time constant is pretty large, or it has very low acc/dec parameters.  These should have little effect on the probing accuracy as the "high speed skip" doesn't care what the machine is doing.  It takes a snapshot of axis position when the skip signal is read.  The probe position is not the position that the machine stops at.   Should have less error than you are measuring to.  The most important thing for probing accuracy is making sure you are at a constant/stable velocity when you make the touch.  Violent acc/dec parameters will invariably cause false triggers, and machine vibration which will affect accuracy.  More trigger approach distance usually is the solution for this.

I would look into the acc/dec time constant parameter.  Is it possible you are running the probe in AICC?

No it cancels it in the settings  program

This parameter I posted says it applies Accel and decell parameters to dry run and skip signal moves.

The pqi machine is set to zero and really bangs around.

The other 5 done by yamizen have it on. I have concluded that they loaded the old macro programs even though the probe comes with newer software.

I think they are farming out probe installs to pqi now

• 1 month later...