Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surface contour

So not a Guru

Had a quick look in 2019. WCS came in not normal to the top surface, so your tool is shanking out.

3 drive surfaces selected but I could only see a single surface, you might want to try a more restrictive containment.

Maybe some of this was caused by import into 2019 without proper migration?

50 minutes ago, billb said:

On the third tab page of the Finish/Contour operation's parameter dialog, check that you have enabled the (new) "Detect undercut" checkbox. 

I tried it both ways, it doesn't get the full undercut either way. The way I read the help file seemed to say that it must be unchecked to cut undercuts. I could be reading it wrong. In any case, for this my preference was flowline & it works well.

Oh, the help probably mentions unchecking the "gap gouge check" checkboxes (short and long) on the Gap Settings dialog.  That is still true - you want to disable gouge-checking of the keep down motion when undercutting (if it sees a gouge, it will "lift" the tool - not what is wanted here).  I'll reread the help to see if there is anything that should be updated.

Glad you got what you needed.

• Like 1

You're right - that 2018 help is a bit terse (and confusing).  It looks like it was revised for the 2019 help:

Detect undercuts - "Only available when an undercut tool is selected.  When selected, undercutting is enabled."

That is better but I'll ask around and see if we can do more.

• Like 1

I too am very frustrated with this path right now I got 3 days into a project that requires many undercuts because of inside cavities and a lip around the opening. Not only do I never get to a good toolpath but it takes like 20 minutes to generate every time I make a change... errrrr. Trying out multi axis options like triangle and parallel with no luck either. thought I had it today when I discovered the multi-axis paths have like 2 or 3 places to pick your planes. This is on a horizontal so once I figured that out thought it would be ez mony, but no I am still up the creek, I feel like if I get the planes figured out I will make the constant z parallel work, but apparently its beyond my scope of understanding.... Why is it so hard to use undercuts!!!!!!

EDIT. The undercuts selection box completly takes out the toolpath in multiaxis, probably because I am forcing it to 3 axis and select undercuts only has 3+2 or 5 axis options.... So frustrated right now...

17 hours ago, motor-vater said:

I too am very frustrated with this path right now I got 3 days into a project that requires many undercuts because of inside cavities and a lip around the opening. Not only do I never get to a good toolpath but it takes like 20 minutes to generate every time I make a change... errrrr. Trying out multi axis options like triangle and parallel with no luck either. thought I had it today when I discovered the multi-axis paths have like 2 or 3 places to pick your planes. This is on a horizontal so once I figured that out thought it would be ez mony, but no I am still up the creek, I feel like if I get the planes figured out I will make the constant z parallel work, but apparently its beyond my scope of understanding.... Why is it so hard to use undercuts!!!!!!

EDIT. The undercuts selection box completly takes out the toolpath in multiaxis, probably because I am forcing it to 3 axis and select undercuts only has 3+2 or 5 axis options.... So frustrated right now...

Motor-Vater. The easiest way to use a very specific plane that I have found in the multi-axis paths is to use conical limits. Draw a line of the z axis direction of the plane you want. Turn on limits under tool axis control. In the dialog for limits turn on conical and limit the angle to the defined line. Then if you want 3 axis, type in 0 in both fields. If you want movement give it the limits you want to use.

On 10/4/2018 at 8:54 PM, motor-vater said:

What kind of tool are you using? Is it a lollipop or a slot mill? Sometimes instead of a full radius slot mill, I'll define the tool as a slot mill with a corner radius, and make the radius .0001 smaller than nominal. This gives a .0002 "flat", but it really won't matter much in terms of the tool motion that is generated. It seems to help with getting a clean path, and also speeding up the calculation time.