Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Setup sheets

Ewood42

Preferred method for setup sheets  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What do you use to generate setup sheets?

• ActiveReports
    • Microsoft Office (Word, excel, etc.) with screenshots
    • Something else
    • What are setup sheets?

At my last shop, I never used them since all tools were dedicated, offsets were hard coded, and I was the one to prove out any new programs I wrote. Here, I hand off setup sheets and new programs to someone else 90% of the time. Currently using activereports and a template made by a previous employee. Works OK, but I need to tweak the format a little, and wondering if learning to write template files is worth it or if there are any other plug-ins that work well.

Comment what you use, if not on the list.

Depending on the customer's preferences, I use two different methods.

Method 1

I use a "Dot Set File". (MILL.SET)

This is essentially a modified Post Processor, that is setup to generate a Text Report. Since it is a Post Processor at it's heart, you can get any data you want from any of the Operations.

The main reason I go with a .SET file, is because I can modify my regular NC Code Post Processor, to launch the .SET file automatically in the 'ppost$' Post Block. I pass the NCI file that I just finished processing to generate the NC File, and mine the NCI for the data I need in my setup sheet. The advantage here is that I get a perfect setup sheet, any time I post a new NC File. The process is 100% automatic, so I never have to worry about "Did I, or another Programmer, forget to generate a new setup sheet when I tweaked that RPM for the Tap?

The only disadvantage with the DOT SET method, is you can't generate the pictures automatically. You have to do that manually if you want pictures with the Setup Sheet.

Method 2

Jim Varco is a former Post Developer, who worked for a Reseller (I believe, if I remember my history correctly!)

Jim really embraced the Active Reports, and learned how to customize the software to make the setup sheet automatic, grab any information you want from the Mastercam File, and also automate the generation of Pictures of the Setup, Operation Info, and Tool List info.

He does a fantastic job of customizing the reports to give you exactly the information you need, and the price he charges is a bargain, for the value you get.

http://varcoreporting.com/

If you want a cost effective, slick solution, I'd go with Varco Reporting all day, every day. This is money well spent. (Again, the price is cheap for what you get...)

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Depending on the customer's preferences, I use two different methods.

Method 1

I use a "Dot Set File". (MILL.SET)

This is essentially a modified Post Processor, that is setup to generate a Text Report. Since it is a Post Processor at it's heart, you can get any data you want from any of the Operations.

The main reason I go with a .SET file, is because I can modify my regular NC Code Post Processor, to launch the .SET file automatically in the 'ppost$' Post Block. I pass the NCI file that I just finished processing to generate the NC File, and mine the NCI for the data I need in my setup sheet. The advantage here is that I get a perfect setup sheet, any time I post a new NC File. The process is 100% automatic, so I never have to worry about "Did I, or another Programmer, forget to generate a new setup sheet when I tweaked that RPM for the Tap?

The only disadvantage with the DOT SET method, is you can't generate the pictures automatically. You have to do that manually if you want pictures with the Setup Sheet.

Method 2

Jim Varco is a former Post Developer, who worked for a Reseller (I believe, if I remember my history correctly!)

Jim really embraced the Active Reports, and learned how to customize the software to make the setup sheet automatic, grab any information you want from the Mastercam File, and also automate the generation of Pictures of the Setup, Operation Info, and Tool List info.

He does a fantastic job of customizing the reports to give you exactly the information you need, and the price he charges is a bargain, for the value you get.

http://varcoreporting.com/

If you want a cost effective, slick solution, I'd go with Varco Reporting all day, every day. This is money well spent. (Again, the price is cheap for what you get...)

Can't use option 1, need pictures. Our machinists have wildly varying levels of skill. A lot can go without setup images, but many can't. Lowest common denominator and all that.

Do you know if Jim offers training on it setting up activereports? I think he worked for my local reseller. I'd rather learn to do it myself than have someone else do it for me.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Ewood42 said:

Can't use option 1, need pictures. Our machinists have wildly varying levels of skill. A lot can go without setup images, but many can't. Lowest common denominator and all that.

Do you know if Jim offers training on it setting up activereports? I think he worked for my local reseller. I'd rather learn to do it myself than have someone else do it for me.

Honestly, I'd start with the Active Reports Tutorials. This should be available from your Reseller...

That would get you a long ways towards doing the customization. You can certainly contact Jim and see if he offers training...

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

I save them as PDF's with the Cute PDF printer driver.

I was using Nitro which got as close as close could be. And it would allow drag and drop of photos of set-ups onto the sheet too. Trouble was editing was a little funky which did prove problematical for my fellow work mates. MS Word would have been REALLY EASY PEASY...

:D

55 minutes ago, Newbeeee™ said:

I was using Nitro which got as close as close could be. And it would allow drag and drop of photos of set-ups onto the sheet too. Trouble was editing was a little funky which did prove problematical for my fellow work mates. MS Word would have been REALLY EASY PEASY...

:D

I use LibreOffice Draw to edit pdf setup sheets created with Active Reports.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2018 at 5:00 AM, jeff said:

X+ is the best that I've used, it's quick and easy to customize to my liking.

Mastercam setup sheets suck.

You'd think that they would read the feedback and make it more accessible to customize to customer preferences, right?!

Seems like people have to be code breakers instead of customers....

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, ABOMB1977 said:

You'd think that they would read the feedback and make it more accessible to customize to customer preferences, right?!

Seems like people have to be code breakers instead of customers....

It's been my biggest peeve for years. All the info is in the mcam file, so 1x click and out it should come and MS Word is the most used document package out there...

• Like 1