Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multiple Zeros Only One Fixture

AlexScott

Machine: Variaxis j-500

Post-Processor: N/A (Discussing with distributor now)

Question: When dealing with multiple angles, can my post processor allow me to take only one accurate zero at a non rotated degree.

Example: A CNC machined block with a CNC machined handle. For the first operation the table is A:0 C:0. I set mastercam's zero to the top left corner of my part and take my zero in the machine at that point. The second operations the table is at A:-21 C0 so it can mill a handle at 69 degrees. I set mastercam's zero to the top left corner of my part. I wish to not have to take another zero.

Additional way of putting this: Is there a way for the software to track the part's zero location based on the table's rotary and indexing movements.

Thanks guys, any help is appreciated!

There are 2 different ways to accomplish this with the machine. The older way which is to program from the center line of rotation on the machine. Both Mastercam and the Variaxis would have G54 set to centerline. Then there is G68.2 (Tilted Working Plane) and TCPC (Tool Center Point Control)  which automatically handles the WCS as the rotaries move. The second way is definitely easier and creates better work flow both in the machine and on MC. However, rotational issues are slightly harder to diagnose. It's not always as simple as adding another WCS. If you have a strong understanding of the kinematics it won't be to bad, or if your parts are generally wide open.

Both of the above solutions are handled by the machine. There isn't really a way of getting Mastercam to handle this. As machines change slightly from day to day it's not really a good idea.

If you do go the G68.2 route make sure your machine came with the option before pushing for it in the Post.

Here is a video of how it works on Haas machines. Note the codes are slightly different, but do the same thing.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, AlexScott said:

The video in the first solution shows if you have G68.2 and TCPC, what if you do not have TCPC?

That is mostly for simultanious 5 axis work. Since you have the Variaxis J series, which is not capable of full 5 it shouldn't be to big of a deal. You may find that certain paths won't work that need to be driven from the tip of the tool. Best bet on this is to talk to Mazak/Mastercam and have them let you know what is driven from TCPC. If you are only doing positional work don't even worry about it, you don't need it.

we got the postability post for are mazack vcu 500 and every thing works perfect, when you change a plane,  it makes the adjustments in the code for the machine if  the wcs is in top and with the plane set properly to the angle it will push out code that will work. same post true 5axis no edits!!!

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Mark VIII said:

Why is it that machine tool builders cannot develop an ISO for terminology?

Because they have to compete with one another. Standardization reduces their competitive advantage considerably, and makes it so that a similar machine could be built by the lowest bidder. They have a huge incentive to keep their technology proprietary.

If you are seriously interested in what standardization could look like, check out STEP AP238 protocol. (ISO 10303-238).

1 hour ago, AlexScott said:

Thank you all so much for your help, especially Manofwar. I am updating our MasterCAM seat to 3D and buying a post. Any online resources for 3+2 machining would be greatly appreciated.

Tim Markowski, had written some of the most enlightening articles on this, before he passed away.

I think I saved most of them, but I'm not sure if there are intellectual  property rights that would be breached by posting them here. You might be able to find them online.

1 hour ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

Because they have to compete with one another. Standardization reduces their competitive advantage considerably, and makes it so that a similar machine could be built by the lowest bidder. They have a huge incentive to keep their technology proprietary.

If you are seriously interested in what standardization could look like, check out STEP AP238 protocol. (ISO 10303-238).

I have seen the step238. If one company call a drill a Plunge Gizmo and another calls it a Material Extractor, there is no technological advantage over just calling it a drill.