Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Complex trim challenge

TimW

We have about 1500 variations of similar files that we need to edit. What we need to do is create a single pocket from the image attached. This was created by offsetting chains using the Slot method. The original centerline chain has been removed in the drawing, just leaving the offset lines. It's very time consuming to trim out all the lines on the inside of the slots where they overlap. I can't help but wonder if there is a quicker way to turn this shape into a single pocket. Essentially we want to remove all the lines on the inside to create one pocket to machine.

A bit of background, initially we would cut a slot with a cutter down the centerline, what we want to do now is use a smaller cutter and create the same shape by offsetting the centerlines. The more I type the more I realize that it's almost as much of a challenge to explain what we are trying to do as it is to do it!

The second image shows what we are trying to achieve. This was done using the divide tool manually. Can anyone thing of a more efficient way to remove all the inside lines?

Trim.jpg

Trim 2.jpg

since its 1500 of these it is worthwhile to invest time in thought here as once you slash the time its 1500 times that . could you send a file before and after ?  My line of thought here  would be to investigate whether its possible to create the needed geometry using surfaces. Also shading surfs might make  proofing the design easier on the eyes.

Gracjan

21 hours ago, TimW said:

We have about 1500 variations of similar files that we need to edit. What we need to do is create a single pocket from the image attached.

Were these files originally drawn in Mastercam?

If not, can you have the original file be imported as a .STP? I wonder if that would be faster than re-doing 1500 files.

Hi,

I've created a sample of a typical file we are working with. In the sample the top drawing in green is the original centerlines we start with. This is what we have 1500 variations of as in the past we slot machined straight down the centerline to create what we needed. We now wish to create an outline of the finished slot and contour mill the shape. (long story why...)

In the sample drawing the center drawing in yellow has had an offset added to the centerlines and the centerline removed. We need to remove everything in the middle of the slot to create the contour. 

The bottom drawing in orange has had this done manually using Divide.

The original drawings were created in 2D using SolidEdge. SolidEdge actually has an offset tool that will create just the outline contour like we need, however it's quite buggy and unpredictable making it useless. We've experimented using SolidEdge, SolidWorks and Mastercam to create the process, none of which have an efficient method of doing what we need.

Suggestions?

Example.mcam

If you are just offsetting that geometry into a slot and then deleting the center line data why don't you create a new level and then offset the slot, this would leave the original geometry on the first level and the offset geometry on the second level which would allow you to turn that center line data off with the level, or on the advanced tab inside the offset command there is a level option that you can change to allow the offset geometry to land on a specific level. I would think this would be much faster and easier than deleting that center line data manually.

Thanks. We just select the centerline by it's color and delete it, that step is easy. It's removing all the intersecting lines that is very time consuming. Can't help but think there should be a quicker way to achieve what we want. Either in the offset creating step, or trimming.

14 minutes ago, TimW said:

Thanks. We just select the centerline by it's color and delete it, that step is easy. It's removing all the intersecting lines that is very time consuming. Can't help but think there should be a quicker way to achieve what we want. Either in the offset creating step, or trimming.

oh i see now, the only thing i can think of that might speed up that part of the process is the changes they made to divide delete in 2019 where we can drag to trim like i am showing below. i hope this helps

Divide_delete_2019.gif

• Like 4