Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

JUST CURIOUS...

Hello everyone,
   As everyone knows that the TARIFF has shutdown quite a lot of big CNC manufactures industry in California, San Jose.  Like BIG companies of which has 200+ employees.  Mostly LAM and APPLIED MATERIAL contract manufacturing.  

Honestly, I am worry and thinking of moving on another field just be safe at this time (FANUC ROBOTIC ARM programming in medical field) instead of CNC programming right now.  However, I will comeback to CNC field when the TARIFF ended.  

Don't know when it would be ended but I guess , it would take long to do the battle with CHINA.  On the other hand, our product MADE IN USA at least can compete with CHINA prices due to their CURRENCY ADJUSTMENT is a must.

Any of guys know anything about this, let me know.  I will be at the new job within 2 weeks.

I have not seen any slowdown in Aerospace. Quite the opposite, most companies are looking to expand and can't find enough workers. Maybe you should consider moving to a different part of the country or at least look for a new city in CA that isn't trying to compete with Chinese labor? You mentioned "contract manufacturers". I'm guessing this is a job shop?

Aerospace isn't being squeezed by the tariffs the way other manufacturers are. Materials for Aerospace are certified and most are not sourced from China. Even if they are tariffed, the company will negotiate a price adjustment with the customer, as the contracts tend to be long-term agreements.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Colin Gilchrist said:

I have not seen any slowdown in Aerospace. Quite the opposite, most companies are looking to expand and can't find enough workers. Maybe you should consider moving to a different part of the country or at least look for a new city in CA that isn't trying to compete with Chinese labor? You mentioned "contract manufacturers". I'm guessing this is a job shop?

Aerospace isn't being squeezed by the tariffs the way other manufacturers are. Materials for Aerospace are certified and most are not sourced from China. Even if they are tariffed, the company will negotiate a price adjustment with the customer, as the contracts tend to be long-term agreements.

Hi Colin,
   You are right, most of big companies in the bay area are SEMICONDUCTOR.  They are heavily effected by the TARIFF because we built expensive equipment and sell to CHINA.  Now they are stuck in the warehouse with high cost of overhead.  I think I should look into GOVERNMENT jobs such as AEROSPACE or MEDICAL and it is hard to find because at the area where I leave most companies are doing the SEMICONDUCTOR contracting jobs.

Thanks for the suggestion, Colin.

5 hours ago, Old_Bear said:

No slow down on this end...

Full throttle, adding, jobs, people and equipment

4 hours ago, Old_Bear said:

No sir...Defense related mostly, non-aerospace

It's hard to get DEFENSE jobs in California, a lot of paperwork that people have to go thru.  I guess California is not a place for good job with high pay anymore....

Question...

Is this a tariff thing, or the start of a recession thing?

The first sector that stops in manufacturing when a recession is around the corner, is anything semi conductor and PC related. Anyone who makes high speed spindles and router machines (for pcb manufacture), sheet metal machines (PC enclosures etc).

This industry is also a good gauge when it's time to come out from a recession too - when these sectors get busy, everything else then slowly ramps up.

But to answer your question - IMO ANYTHING aerospace is a good bet for stability, and also medical. People go wrong all the time...

On 10/17/2018 at 11:54 PM, Newbeeee™ said:

Question...

Is this a tariff thing, or the start of a recession thing?

The first sector that stops in manufacturing when a recession is around the corner, is anything semi conductor and PC related. Anyone who makes high speed spindles and router machines (for pcb manufacture), sheet metal machines (PC enclosures etc).

This industry is also a good gauge when it's time to come out from a recession too - when these sectors get busy, everything else then slowly ramps up.

But to answer your question - IMO ANYTHING aerospace is a good bet for stability, and also medical. People go wrong all the time...

At KNT, the company who I worked for laid off 250+ machinists.  One of the biggest contract manufacture in our town.  50 HORIZONTALS (25x A92, 25X others are MATSUURAs), 150 BRAND NEW vertical Makinos.  KNT is in dead end now, only 35 people ALIVE in there now instead of 400 over all.

We used to build CHAMBERS everyday, now...... tiny jobs.  I am praying for KNT staying alive because it's real tough.  

Other big guys like CALMAX, goes to WORK SHARE with 10 large Horizontals, 25 verticals also in danger of business.....

Don't know what to say, in SAN JOSE we are known as SILICON VALLEY.  Everything is about electronic design, government job is only for other states and I think it is because other states have lower labor cost comparing in California.

I'm not sure why this is in the Post Processor section but...

Initial thoughts are; (IMHO) economically speaking we are seeing some serious corrections. China's stocks are seeing a heavy downturn and that's usually a bad sign for the world market considering how deeply they tie into the market. With that said the mountain states have seen an influx of new machine purchases compared to last year. It was a pretty strong year for us honestly. I'm seeing a pickup in a handful of key industries. I have always felt California tends to lead in manufacturing trends. The market is a bit flimsy to be basing life choices on right now. If you are considering a change, make sure it's something you are passionate about because even in a crappy market, people who care deeply are in high demand.

• Like 1