Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam and solidworks 2019

vulgamore

6 hours ago, vulgamore said:

We have Mastercam 2019 update 2. Just updated to Solidworks 2019 this morning and lost the ability to open sldprts in mastercam. I can still open if i save the file as a parasolid. But just curious if knows when Mastercam is going to update to allow opening solidworks 2019 files? 

SWorks 2019 was released after Mcam 2019 / update 2, the convertors will need to be updated before you will be able to open the newer SWorks files.

Yes, there will be an update that resets the SWorks converters.

I have been told that file converters are provided by the individual CAD software companies to Mastercam and that SW's is pretty quick to get theirs out.  Others I don't know but ultimately if the converter isn't provided in a timely manner, Mastercam can only open the files that they have been provided the files to do so...

3 hours ago, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

John,

It should ... but I'll check with the install development team.

Yea when i installed Solidworks 2019 at the end of last week i had to re-register my solidworks dll component to be able to open up any solidworks part file even the older version files which is easy if you know how to register that component but would be better if we did not have to do this.

On a side note for the guys that want to open up solidworks files 2019 files right now without waiting for an update or saving them into another format, as long as you have solidworks installed on the same computer as your mastercam you can simply go to File --> Configuration --> Converters --> check import solidworks history, this of course takes longer to read in the file because solidworks has to communicate with mastercam but at least you can then open up those files without waiting for a translator update since i believe when you do this its utilizing solidworks as a translator if i am not mistaken.

Keep in mind this will only work if you have solidworks installed on the system.

4 hours ago, Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc. said:

John,

It should ... but I'll check with the install development team.

Thanks Pete! In the past the registration would happen automatically. Here lately I have had to manually register after every install/update. We have 17 seats so its not that fun...

If you run Solidworks or Edrawings on any of those systems, this will be a battle you fight constantly.

The swdocumentmgr.dll file is used by both Solidworks and is named the same for the converters that they send out. As such, which one was last used would most likely be the last one registered on the system.

It would be nice if the external file the Dassault provided were named differently than what they actively use in Solidworks.