Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Any way to bend a Model in Mastercam?

Leehound

I am building an investment casting mold of a straight part. My customer has done many similar parts and knows that they always end up slightly curved, which then needs to be straightened. He wants me to build the mold with the part curved in the opposite direction.

There are features of this part that would make it difficult to just make a new model. Is there any way in Mastercam to take a model and introduce a specific curve to it?

Thanks

You could create a surface from the solid, then edit the surface and create/manipulate the node points to appropriately represent the curvature. This would be time consuming and there may be a better way depending on how the model needs to be changed. If you do go this route I would lay out a grid pattern of points representing the curves, then create node points on the surface and bend it that way.

I know there is a simpler way to have points influence a surface, I watched a video on it recently. But can't remember where. If I find it I will post it here if you're interested. 

• Like 1

Map C-Hook

Use this C-Hook to map a surface curve from one surface to another. It creates the new curve by copying the u, v coordinates from the selected surface curve to the new surface curve, and connects it to a new parent surface. You can optionally choose to swap the U and V coordinates. The shape of the new surface curve is a function of the U,V coordinates of the selected surface curve and the shape of the new parent surface. Generally, this results in the surface curve "morphing" from the first surface to the second surface.

Map C-Hook

Use this C-Hook to map a surface curve from one surface to another. It creates the new curve by copying the u, v coordinates from the selected surface curve to the new surface curve, and connects it to a new parent surface. You can optionally choose to swap the U and V coordinates. The shape of the new surface curve is a function of the U,V coordinates of the selected surface curve and the shape of the new parent surface. Generally, this results in the surface curve "morphing" from the first surface to the second surface.

Sent me the example file in X7 format and I will try to bend it using Map dll

I am still with X7 but never mind

First time i did it in ver9 

If the part is simple it is an easy task

If it not so it may take time but still possible I would say.

Basically you need to transfer curves from straight surface  to the bended one.

Map dll transfers curves from one surface to another using u and v curves as pointers for curves transfer

You can transfer geometry from cylinder to flatten surface or to sphere 

or even from sphere to flatten surface even when sphere can not be flatten without distortion.

It is worth to try anyway

Sorry for being aggressive

Best regards