Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Thread mill...WHAT'S IT GOING TO TAKE!?!

Mark VIII

27 minutes ago, gcode said:

set your autocusor to "arc center"

select your solid edge,

done

you don't even have to use the Autocursor

launch the thread mill toolpath

hit the  "c" (the hotkey for center of arc)

select the edge of your circle.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, gcode said:

you don't even have to use the Autocursor

launch the thread mill toolpath

hit the  "c" (the hotkey for center of arc)

select the edge of your circle.

Okay. I need to explain more. I am doing a port. The port has a counter bore about 3x the diameter of the thread. The point I wish to select is the bottom of the counterbore, because all of the depth dimensions are based from that point. If you know what a port is, then you probably realize that there are several other diameters below the cb before you get to the thread diameter. Now, when I select the center of the CB edge, MC unwittingly locks in the diameter of the CB. This FORCES me to draw a point so MC will allow me to override their locked-in diameter. I do not want to draw a point. That point is going to create more problems. This will be a template and the key is to be able to modify from port size to port size without importing/exporting points. This has been a problem for more than a decade. Whenever you select an arc entity, solid edge or wire, MC assumes that is the diameter of a thread. People, including me, have complained about this diameter being locked many, many times. 

port.JPG

8 minutes ago, Mark VIII said:

The port has a counter bore about 3x the diameter of the thread. The point I wish to select is the bottom of the counterbore, because all of the depth dimensions are based from that point.

So using gcodes example above, can't you just hit the c to select the center of the arc and pick the bottom of the c-bore?

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, Mark VIII said:

People, including me, have complained about this diameter being locked many, many times. 

and people like me want it locked

I want the solid edge ( or wireframe arc) to define circle mill and thread mill tool paths

when I pick an arc or solid edge I want the tool to to cut that size

if I want to define the size myself, I'll pick a point.

In your example, you DO NOT have to draw a point

try this

launch the thread mill tool path

hit C on your keyboard

pick either the outside or inside edge of the counter bore floor.

This will give you exactly what you are asking for

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, gcode said:

and people like me want it locked

I want the solid edge ( or wireframe arc) to define circle mill and thread mill tool paths

when I pick an arc or solid edge I want the tool to to cut that size

if I want to define the size myself, I'll pick a point.

In your example, you DO NOT have to draw a point

try this

launch the thread mill tool path

hit C on your keyboard

pick either the outside or inside edge of the counter bore floor.

This will give you exactly what you are asking for

39 minutes ago, Mark VIII said:

I take that back. It is not working. It unlocks, however, it taps on the edge instead of center.

I just tried this on a part I'm working on and the thread mill ran in the center of the hole

can you upload that test block

3 hours ago, Mark VIII said:

no. It is locked.

Sorry, when I mentioned hitting the "c" button I was implying that you have to click the edge to get the center point of the arc.  I should have been more clear.  My bad.  :D 

2 hours ago, Mark VIII said:

Make a port cavity and create an unlocked threadmill by selecting the counterbore. No points. No axis. Just the port, solid geometry.

I created a test block when I was at work and created a b/s port looking feature. Did exactly as gcode suggested and was able to type in a diameter to be thread milled.

I'm wondering if there is a little confusion/miscommunication going on?