Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

ABB RobotStudio

Is anyone using this software? Our glass shop has purchased a tube cutting machine for flame cutting and end rounding for mainly quartz glass. I have been given the task of modifying the robot code for better multitasking processes. I'm not sure if this is a one shot ordeal or another job but I'm going to treat this learning event as a possibility to eventually bring robots into the machine shop.

• Like 1
On 10/24/2018 at 2:55 AM, Tim Johnson said:

Is anyone using this software? Our glass shop has purchased a tube cutting machine for flame cutting and end rounding for mainly quartz glass. I have been given the task of modifying the robot code for better multitasking processes. I'm not sure if this is a one shot ordeal or another job but I'm going to treat this learning event as a possibility to eventually bring robots into the machine shop.

I use RobotStudio, probably not anywhere near the extent of it's capabilities but I do use it. We only do machine tending with our robots so no path programming is needed. Our programs are very algorithm driven so I just write the rapid code myself. However I do use RobotStudio to simulate and do layout/reach studies. I am in the process of adding the Safemove zones in robot studio for further protection against crashes. Just being able to real time connect to the robot to check IO and even program is awesome. The code editor has predictive text and intellitype like VisualStudio or other modern programming IDE's. 

Thanks Doug,

I'm glad to hear RobotStudio is working for you. I got to see this machine run its first program last Friday and it looks like at least in the beginning the machine components need to be dialed in due to excessive movement and slow rapids for positioning. This segment is all PLC work. The robot work right now is grabbing the flame gun for flame polishing and moving the cut tubes to a single tray. The glass shop manager wants more variability with using multiple types and number of trays but isn't sure what what the needs are yet. It will take between a couple months to figure it out. I went thru the online RobotStudio tutorials and the software looked nice but most software looks nice until you're actually using it.

12 minutes ago, Tim Johnson said:

Thanks Doug,

I'm glad to hear RobotStudio is working for you. I got to see this machine run its first program last Friday and it looks like at least in the beginning the machine components need to be dialed in due to excessive movement and slow rapids for positioning. This segment is all PLC work. The robot work right now is grabbing the flame gun for flame polishing and moving the cut tubes to a single tray. The glass shop manager wants more variability with using multiple types and number of trays but isn't sure what what the needs are yet. It will take between a couple months to figure it out. I went thru the online RobotStudio tutorials and the software looked nice but most software looks nice until you're actually using it.

Yeah, about the tutorials! They make it look super easy, but they are missing about 10 crucial steps in between each to actually use the software. We had our ABB distributor come in for a couple of days and he gave me some pointers and tips in RobotStudio. Otherwise I would not have been able to use it based on their tutorials. I would suggest taking their class or other training. There is a pretty decent forum for RobotStudio/ABB.

3 hours ago, YoDoug® said:

Yeah, about the tutorials! They make it look super easy, but they are missing about 10 crucial steps in between each to actually use the software. We had our ABB distributor come in for a couple of days and he gave me some pointers and tips in RobotStudio. Otherwise I would not have been able to use it based on their tutorials. I would suggest taking their class or other training. There is a pretty decent forum for RobotStudio/ABB.

I'll keep that in mind. The robot came turnkey with the tube cutting machine so my access may be limited. I will definitely take the class though if I get the software.