Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

USB hasp. Will it ever go bad?

Programinator

Hello,

Next month I'm moving out of the country (Ecuador South America) to live permanently.  I will be working remotely for my employer.  I'm bringing a new dell precision workstation 7730 and i also have a backup dell 6600 just in case.  So my question is about the usb hasp.  Has anyone ever had one go bad?  I don't put it on my keychain or carry it around.  It just stays plugged into my docking station 90 percent of the time.  I would hate to have the thing get corrupted or something.  No resellers in the jungle and it would take a while to send a new one through mail and sometimes mail just doesn't arrive in my past experiences of getting things sent there.

Its just a concern that i have and was wondering what you all think.

Thanks

20 minutes ago, MrFish said:

You must be a valuable employee to have come up with that remote working arrangement. Good Luck. 

I have been working remotely for the company for a couple of years now and its been working out good.  I think it only works out for certain people and certain shops.  Its rare to find a shop that will let you do it but i am very appreciative for the position I'm in and i try to show it by paying attention to detail with my work.  its a big time saver working from home but at times can be difficult not hearing and seeing the machines run as well as getting feedback from setup guys.

I have seen one USB hasp fail.. and that was when it was plugged into a computer that someone had set the clock back on

to circumvent a maintenance expiration date.

I was told that Hasps are programmed to commit suicide in that situation, but I don't know if it true.

It is possible to get 30 day evaluation licenses.

They are a software license that can be sent via email

I got two last week on an emergency basis when our servers melted down.

They are fully functional licenses, but will not service encrypted posts.

I don't know if Ecuador has a Mastercam dealer or not.

I would get in contact with Sales at Mastercam and discuss this with them

and get a relationship set up ahead of time.

That way if you do have an emergency, most of the legwork will already be done.

Do you plan on keeping maintenance current?

If so you will have to make arrangements for that as well.

Given the variances in third world power, I would also include a high quality UPS in my arsenal.

My step father lived on the Big Island in Hawaii for years

and his computers and appliances rarely lasted more than a couple of years due to the poor quality

of the electricity supplied by the power company. 

This brings up another question.

Is the power in Equador 120 volts or 220??

You may need to special order those Dells

edit... If the HASP belongs to your employer all of this should be handled by his local dealer,

even if you are using the HASP in South America.

17 minutes ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

Do some research; it may be illegal to export the software to certain countries, particularly if you have five axis.

I just did some research and there actually is a reseller un Ecuador.  Its in the capitol of Quito which is about a 6 hr drive from where i will be.  So that makes me feel better.

16 hours ago, Programinator said:

I just did some research and there actually is a reseller un Ecuador.  Its in the capitol of Quito which is about a 6 hr drive from where i will be.  So that makes me feel better.

The only hasp issue i have seen is basically what G-code had mentioned with the computer date and time, basically if you change your date or time drastically or plug the hasp into two computers that have different dates and times it can temporarily disable the hasp key and you can only re-enable it by contacting your reseller or cnc software directly so they can release a special hcode file to correct the disabled hasp key. So just keep your date accurate on the pc like it probably already is and you shouldnt have any problems with the hasp key in my opinion. 

The mastercam hasp key will probably outlive that computer in my opinion. 

The only other thing to consider is bumping into the hasp. At my work, we've moved some of the stations around and accidentally bumped them before. They are pretty fragile and break quite easily. Always keep it plugged into the back, and be extremely cautious when moving the computer with the hasp plugged into it. 

They're pretty tough... I have one right now that has been through the washing machine, the dryer, in the lake, in the pond, in the creek and lastly ran over by a Ram 1500.  It still works and I can't take it out without caution as it's all broke out of the plastic.  Oh, and I had to bend it back to "rectangularish" shape to get it in a USB hole.  Something about being ran over by a truck deformed it.

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, jlw™ said:

They're pretty tough... I have one right now that has been through the washing machine, the dryer, in the lake, in the pond, in the creek and lastly ran over by a Ram 1500.  It still works and I can't take it out without caution as it's all broke out of the plastic.  Oh, and I had to bend it back to "rectangularish" shape to get it in a USB hole.  Something about being ran over by a truck deformed it.

Ours was just plugged into the front of the computer and someone bumped it with their chair... stopped working immediately. They must have given you a better one lol. It really shouldn't be working after what you've done to it.