Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Optical Target Tools for Vision Systems

I have a need for a optical camera or a microscope / Bore scope to set up a position that varies all over the place with some projects that need to be located on a fixture before we can do any work to them. It would be nice to have a tool holder that would hold the device so it can be centered in a VMC since that is what we are doing the work on and then we can verify the parts and the machine gets the same numbers.I have been looking for a while and have not found what i am looking for so the more users that may know of this search the better my odds are.Any and all help will be Very Appreciated . Ultimately If it had blue tooth or wireless capability to project to a larger display nearby for viewing the locations of the parts,that would be Very Handy. I used a Bridgeport Optical Set Up System a few years ago   but i can not find anything near that system that was very simple and it worked.

This needs to be close enough so we can also use it to measure features after the process to verify locations  before we remove the parts from the fixture. These items need to be withing +-.005 from a distant feature over or inside of a 24.00 rectangle.

Thanks To all

Cheers

:cheers:

Hi Colin

Thanks for the link on that . We have one and its ok for some things but what i am doing is a little closer than what that does.I was at a start up a few years ago and we had a optical microscope by Sony or Mitutoyo  and it had a camera and digital read out that could measure and magnify down to i think 500x to 1000x and we could use it to check radius's and distances  and also get third angle iso projections with it. But i can not find anything short of a cmm or laser measuring tools on a cmm or optical comparator  .Even some engineers have said they remember  the tool mounted devices like the Centering Scope but they had better optics and  microscope tube that was extended out so you did not have your head under the spindle to see anything and the view was much better.It has been a steady search on my end and we have others looking also . I was thinking some of the Optical Tool MFG guys should have something that we can make work and as said above  if we can mount the rig in a tool holder that we could make work. But If you know of any Super Precise Optical Scopes like you have on microscopes with a decent field of view and they can be adapted for the process that might work for us.They might be calling it something else now and that might have some impact on the searches .

Thanks  

for your input  Close But No Cigar Yet   :cheers:   

https://shop.mitutoyo.eu/web/mitutoyo/en/mitutoyo/UMAP Vision System/CNC Vision Measuring Machine/$catalogue/mitutoyoData/PR/364-713-10SY/index.xhtml

if i could find something like this that can be adapted to put in a cat 40  tool holder so i can pick up targets and have a large display to verify positions but it needs to be adapted to fit in the spindle.That is kinda what i am looking for .

???:coffee:

Are you looking for an automated system or one you can simply position with a program?  There are vision systems out there but we're talking $$$.  I was in on a project for Navistar that involved shooting a picture of where a flywheel was, analyzing it, and drilling a dowel hole in it.  We had about $60k in that project by the time it was "functional."

You can find optical positioning cameras for DIY machines that fit right in a tool holder - that's what they're designed for.  I don't know what kind of precision you're looking for but the best you can get with them is in the tenth range and that is with a good bit of luck.

Here's the DIY camera that comes to mind:

https://hackaday.com/2015/03/16/microscope-camera-for-zeroing-cnc-machines/

I think.  It was hackaday that I saw it at but I don't recognize that article.

Hi jlw

thanks for the link i checked it out and it has some nice projects to do things with. I just need something i can position parts on a fxt in the machine and then after the work is done maybe go back and use the mill to verify the work before i remove the parts but if it looks good and measures  good with the optics i can check a few places to verify location of features but as you know there is always the chance that one may get away. We may just have to get a dedicated machine for all the work instead of moving things around.

:cheers: