Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Both radial spiral and helix bore in one op

SlaveCam

As indexable drills don't produce a flat bottom, I often end up with two ops when using endmills: one (helix bore) to get flat bottom, and another (dynamic 2d) to machine the diameter to size. Now, how cool would it be if there was a single op that did them both - feeding the cutter both radially and axially at the same time?

Would it be possible to program the aforementioned toolpath using Mastercam API? I need real motivation to start learning...

12 minutes ago, SlaveCam said:

Sure, but doing both at the same time saves precious time!

you can do both with the same toolpath.. check out the finish options

you can helix to the bottom, leaving stock, then do a circle mill to finish, all in one toolpath with no retract

On 11/11/2018 at 6:38 AM, Leon82 said:

You can spiral in at 49.9999% with the circle mill. Anything more and there will be a bit in the middle, and in your case a tapered cone in the middle

I was thinking the exact same thing, I see no benefit as well. I don't see any advantages with this method like said above you will just produce a cone shape.

But with that being said you can just draw a tapered spiral how you want and just 3D contour it.