Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Best toolholder for 1/8" shank tools?

Er collets work great when new, but lose some precision after a while.  Shrink fits work great on larger tools, but the 1/8" ones have to be cooked pretty hard.  TG/DA collets maybe?

Application in this case is a 1/8" shank .020" Harvey endmill at 15KRPM in a CAT-40 spindle, 4" gauge length.

Just asked Frank Mari to quote four of these at a 4" gauge length:

https://www.maritool.com/Tool-Holders-CAT40-SK-Collet-Chucks/c23_25_441/p17407/CAT40-SK10-3.0-COLLET-CHUCK-TOOL-HOLDER/product_info.html

I'm currently getting about a part and a half out of an endmill (about 30 - 45 minutes time in cut) so I want to be able to swap cutters quickly and easily.  If I can get it up to two parts reliably I'll be ecstatic.

17 hours ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

I do have kind of a hokey induction machine, it doesn't have a power setting only a time setting.  Couldn't justify a $10k induction machine to service one mill.

IIRC our MST "HeatRobo" or whatever it is called was about half that price. I have also heard that Maritool recently came out with one even less expensive, but I can't speak for the quality of it.

I like steep taper collets for a lot of stuff, but when you don't need amazing holding power, and you need the best runout possible, a good heat shrink system (holders and heat machine) are pretty much impossible to beat.

I have also learned that if you can get tools in a 4-6mm shank that neck down to what you need you will get better tool life and better tool holder life however.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

The Maritool one is what I'm using.  Works great for 1/4" and up, been having some trouble using it for 1/8".  But it was cheap, and beats using a torch or not having shrink fit.

What holders are you using? What exactly is the issue?

1 hour ago, Sticky said:

What holders are you using? What exactly is the issue?

Techniks, since they had the reach I needed in stock.  First loading went fine, but then to get the cutter out I had to heat it longer, and it got bright red really fast.  I suppose I could do it with a torch and have better control.

• Like 1

Techniks is your issue, their heatshrinks are mediocre at best, and their quality control across their entire product line is hit or miss, sometimes great, but then you get holders that have huge surfaces where the grinder never cleaned up the turned surfaces after heat treating...

FWIW heat shrink machines should have different temp settings and indusction adapters for different diameters. You shouldn't use the same coil and settings for a 1/8" shank as you would on a 1/2"

I am a MST fanboy, just because they have never sent me any garbage and I can consistently get better than .0001" runout. Haimer is good too.