Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Stock Model ( all previous operations )

medaq

So about a year ago I suggested on the Mastercam forums to be able to click all previous operations for stock models. Their was some debate from respected members on this forum about not liking  the idea. But in the end it was written up to be considered  R-13080.  I asked how this was going recently, to find out it was squashed do to that conversation.  Do to not wanting Stock Model to not have a minds of its own.  This is confusing to me, about the resistance to a feature which would save me, and I am sure others a ton of time. This was not about requesting a change to any ones work flow, and if people did not like the idea they just never click the option in stock models. For me in my work flow with production and deburring. I move tool paths around a lot to cut cycle time. But each time I do or add a path. I have to click a ton to get the stock models back up to par. Being a lot of tool paths have this same feature I am requesting in the rest section. Not sure why it is ok and good idea there but not for stock models.. So I MS paint a picture of the idea that was suggested to make sure it was clear in my request. And posting it here to debate why it is a good or bad idea.  

STOCKMODEL.jpg

14 hours ago, motor-vater said:

Cant you just click on the machine group which would select all the toolpaths?

Of course you can if you are running one stock model at the end of your tool paths. But still 3 unnecessary clicks.  But not a big deal if that is what you are doing. I will run 5 or so stock models through out my tool paths. Optirough and other features alone will need more stock models to remove just the proper amount of material. So if I have 5 models and have to add a tool path to the begining of the operations and want the models up to date. 

- Find stock model in treee, click the plus to expand. 

- Now click the paramters to open it up

- Click Source Operations

- Find the added tool path, and click

- Click green check mark to exit. 

So that is 5 clicks to add to one tool path to a stock model. Now add in 4 more stock models and gets over 25 clicks to add in one tool path. 

14 hours ago, Codeworx said:

You can do this..   just select all operations.

I like the fact that i can pick and choose, files with well over 200-300 operations and any PC would stall out if i couldn't control stock models throught the process.

My suggestion does not change how you would pick and choose for a 200-300 operations tool path for the stock model. The suggestion is to add a button option if you wanted it to grab the tool paths above the stock model automatically. If you had 200-500 paths you probably do not want it always grabbing every tool path in the group, so you would just never use that option. 

Ahh gotcha! Not sure why that would be so hard. But I feel they could better utilize my maintenance money fix a lot of other things, but hell what do I know. Personally I absolutely hate stock models and avoid trying to use them as much as possible.  More and more I just create STL's in verify and go from there. They never need regeneration.

On 11/16/2018 at 6:20 PM, motor-vater said:

Ahh gotcha! Not sure why that would be so hard. But I feel they could better utilize my maintenance money fix a lot of other things, but hell what do I know. Personally I absolutely hate stock models and avoid trying to use them as much as possible.  More and more I just create STL's in verify and go from there. They never need regeneration.

If you have multiple STL files, you would then need multiple machine group to define the progressively more cut stock samples, correct?