Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mind blown

TERRYH

I never really cared about what name they give these interfaces. It all comes down to keystrokes/movement for me. If it takes more keystrokes or movement to do the same thing yesterday then its worse. I don't care what color of paint you put on it.

I use a heavily modified right click menu and even that was somewhat broken a few versions back.

edit:: I wanted to add that I can use any interface, its just the usability and quality of life makes it worse.

oK, I'm trying to figure out an intelligent mix for my right mouse button...and I can't find one icon that I used all the time in X9 and would use in 2019 if it was available. In X9 I could have both the green check (ok) and the blue check (ok and create new operation), but I can't find the blue check+ anywhere. Did they really get rid of that? I hate having to go to the selection box over and over.

On 11/27/2018 at 12:52 PM, sharles said:

oK, I'm trying to figure out an intelligent mix for my right mouse button...and I can't find one icon that I used all the time in X9 and would use in 2019 if it was available. In X9 I could have both the green check (ok) and the blue check (ok and create new operation), but I can't find the blue check+ anywhere. Did they really get rid of that? I hate having to go to the selection box over and over.

Post a screenshot of the issue you are facing...are you talking about geometry creation? Transform ops?

they both have the + icon for continuing to the next selection without having to start over a command. Same with chaining as far as I am aware 

On 11/27/2018 at 2:52 PM, sharles said:

Are these the functions your referring to Sharles?

243816785_greenbluechecks.thumb.jpg.1e53a627f283100032d96422d5253838.jpg

5 hours ago, CJep said:

Are these the functions your referring to Sharles?

243816785_greenbluechecks.thumb.jpg.1e53a627f283100032d96422d5253838.jpg

yes, the blue one! I can't find it anywhere to put on my right mouse button, and the green one (end selection) only seems to work about 1/3 of the time when I'm making geometry or transforming things repeatedly....X9 I had both on my right mouse button, and now I have to cross over to the other screen, over and over and over, to hit the blue button since I can't find it to add to my mouse...

4 hours ago, Seedy steve said:

They have the recent function bar on the left, its still more work but that's what i use sometimes.

where is the mru??? I used that all the time, too, and I can't seem to figure out how to get it back on my graphics screen. I can find it in the configuration menu, but not get it where I can use it...

10 minutes ago, sharles said:

where is the mru??? I used that all the time, too, and I can't seem to figure out how to get it back on my graphics screen. I can find it in the configuration menu, but not get it where I can use it...

the MRU is now one of the managers, go to the View tab and make certain recent functions is highlighted

1958097280_View-Managers.jpg.283eb51e84af7c89b9b09ad7d3834ee6.jpg

The green & blue check boxes are part of the utility, they are only active when using a function that requires an apply stay in the function or apply close the function. There isn't a separate icon for those check boxes.

15 minutes ago, sharles said:

I guess I can put the mru back where it used to be, so that's not so bad...but I really miss having the blue icon...

That's what I did, docked it on the right of the graphics background then used the tack pin icon to auto hide it.

You can also select how many recent functions show up in the panel in the system config

After working with this for a few weeks now and starting to find stuff I used to use and getting used to the new layout, there is a lot of stuff I think I will like a lot once I start getting used to it and doing it more repetitive always helps, but there is a lot of small irritating stuff I do not like, just deleting geometry I created, or changing colors of things it takes several seconds, and I have had it crash 3 times now for no apparent reason. We have pretty good systems and video cards so not sure if there are settings I can change or what, also I noticed if you use create curves on all edges it dies not always create an  arc on the holes, will have to go back and delete them and then use create curves on one edge and use the inside of the hole to get an  arc. not sure if that's a part file issue or something in MC, but its annoying..............

5 minutes ago, TERRYH said:

After working with this for a few weeks now and starting to find stuff I used to use and getting used to the new layout, there is a lot of stuff I think I will like a lot once I start getting used to it and doing it more repetitive always helps, but there is a lot of small irritating stuff I do not like, just deleting geometry I created, or changing colors of things it takes several seconds, and I have had it crash 3 times now for no apparent reason. We have pretty good systems and video cards so not sure if there are settings I can change or what, also I noticed if you use create curves on all edges it dies not always create an  arc on the holes, will have to go back and delete them and then use create curves on one edge and use the inside of the hole to get an  arc. not sure if that's a part file issue or something in MC, but its annoying..............

Creating curves on all edges? What type of geometry are you working with? Solid models? Surface models?

With some surface models you will see split holes or splines to define an edge unless you pick the wall.

It shouldn't take an extended amount of time to delete or change the color of an entity. What is the amount of data you are changing the attributes of?

44 minutes ago, TERRYH said:

it dies not always create an  arc on the holes, will have to go back and delete them and then use create curves on one edge and use the inside of the hole to get an  arc.

I get this a lot with cr@py Catia models

try Hole Axis  on the Model Prep page with Top set to 0

49 minutes ago, gcode said:

I get this a lot with cr@py Catia models

All the time!

1 hour ago, TERRYH said:

and then use create curves on one edge and use the inside of the hole to get an  arc.

I usually create curves on all edges of a face and if it creates splines instead of arcs, I'll use Simplify Spline then Close Arc. The downside is that you usually get 2 arcs on every hole, but Delete Duplicates will fix that.

A lot of clicking because of crappy models.

As of right now we are working with a little of both surfaces and solids, in the past we worked 100% with surfaces, and it's only been since I originally started this thread that we have started using 2019 and solid so it is a huge learning curve getting used to both. and it does not matter if I am changing the color of 1 arc or line or deleting one entity it takes several seconds. After 12 years of surfaces and the old original lay out of MC making the transition to solids and 2019 is a shock to say the least. it is getting easier as we find more stuff and we had 2 classes from our re-seller that helped a lot and after we have worked with it for a while we are going to schedule another class geared more towards our specific needs rather than just a whats new and tips and tricks type class.  

Been using mastercam for 8 years now, and until a week ago had never had any official training, because we switched to 2019 from X9 everything in the past had been self taught or from other guys in the shop who also learned OJT , and I can honestly say 2019 is the buggiest version I have used and I think I started on 4  

7 hours ago, TERRYH said:

Been using mastercam for 8 years now, and until a week ago had never had any official training, because we switched to 2019 from X9 everything in the past had been self taught or from other guys in the shop who also learned OJT , and I can honestly say 2019 is the buggiest version I have used and I think I started on 4  

I strongly disagree with you. 2017 was a bugged out mess initially. They've refined this latest release quite a bit since then. Have you downloaded the patch updates yet?

X9 is like 3 years ago. What bugs are you experiencing specifically?

We never used 2017 we went directly from X9 to 2019, but some of the bugs we are seeing is one guy is experiencing it to shut down when he is trying to change the color of things when selecting the full color pallet instead of the little default one, it just shuts MC down. A couple of the things I have been seeing is when changing the color of something it will take several seconds and will turn on other levels that I did not have selected. And sometimes it flat will not allow me to change the color of something. There are a few others but can't think of right now it's to early.