Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mind blown

TERRYH

On 12/27/2018 at 2:00 PM, generaldisarray said:

Since Jan 1 2019 is here. Where is MC2020? Will V2019 get any more updates beyond 3?

This last update should be the last for 2019, the only reason that there would be another update is if there was a major issue that popped its head in 2019. But we do not foresee this coming. As stated by Gcode we are around the corner for Public beta 1 soon.

With all the new fancy stuff in the new versions since getting away from the X versions, and the bugs still in 2019 why release a new version instead of making the current one rock solid? I'm not trying to be a smart azz here but working with this for almost 9 years now , and still getting used to the newer version layout to me no matter how many bells and whistles it has it seems to be a lot more clicking and looking for stuff. I am getting used to it but seems like were giving up functionality for fancy.  

• Like 2
On 1/4/2019 at 3:27 PM, TERRYH said:

With all the new fancy stuff in the new versions since getting away from the X versions, and the bugs still in 2019 why release a new version instead of making the current one rock solid? I'm not trying to be a smart azz here but working with this for almost 9 years now , and still getting used to the newer version layout to me no matter how many bells and whistles it has it seems to be a lot more clicking and looking for stuff. I am getting used to it but seems like were giving up functionality for fancy.  

I think a lot of stuff is like that.

Even the new machines seem that way. 

On 1/4/2019 at 3:27 PM, TERRYH said:

i agree, every time i finally get used to a version a new one comes out and its start all over, not just MC but all software. I don't believe we need a new version just because the date changes, in the early days it was years between.

5 hours ago, htm01 said:

i agree, every time i finally get used to a version a new one comes out and its start all over, not just MC but all software. I don't believe we need a new version just because the date changes, in the early days it was years between.

Ive found it very helpful on a new release to look at Mastercam's "whats new" YouTube channel. Theres a ton of info just in those. And also reading through the PDFs on new releases, it explains a lot of details that you wouldnt know existed otherwise, specific functions etc.

And also MCam hasnt substantially changed its UI/UX since the initial 2017 release, which was nearly 3 years ago.

6 minutes ago, Metallic said:

Ive found it very helpful on a new release to look at Mastercam's "whats new" YouTube channel. Theres a ton of info just in those. And also reading through the PDFs on new releases, it explains a lot of details that you wouldnt know existed otherwise, specific functions etc.

And also MCam hasnt substantially changed its UI/UX since the initial 2017 release, which was nearly 3 years ago.

That is part of the problem we are experiencing, we do not update as often as MC does we jumped from X6 to X9 and now from X9 to 2019. That is our issue not MC but its a pain in the azz to be expected to learn a new version, new methods and switch from using surfaces to using solids, all the while being expected to keep up with production. 

1 hour ago, TERRYH said:

That is part of the problem we are experiencing, we do not update as often as MC does we jumped from X6 to X9 and now from X9 to 2019. That is our issue not MC but its a pain in the azz to be expected to learn a new version, new methods and switch from using surfaces to using solids, all the while being expected to keep up with production. 

i usually skip a year if there is nothing major, been doing odd years

• Like 1

I tend to wait 2 weeks to a month before jumping to next version.  Not because im afraid of any Gui changes but because im worried about bugs.  I feel that 2 weeks to a month is long enough to see if there are any rants on Emastercam.com or mastercam.com forums.  If I don't see anything major then I go with it.  Off course I leave the previous version installed unless I need disk space for some reason, which usually is not a problem.

1 hour ago, Programinator said:

I tend to wait 2 weeks to a month before jumping to next version.  Not because im afraid of any Gui changes but because im worried about bugs.  I feel that 2 weeks to a month is long enough to see if there are any rants on Emastercam.com or mastercam.com forums.  If I don't see anything major then I go with it.  Off course I leave the previous version installed unless I need disk space for some reason, which usually is not a problem.

I actually usually wait at least 2 months before updating, but for the exact same reasons.

If there are bugs, you can count on this great community to sus them out.

So let me say WTF ...

I spent at least 5 minutes trying to break an arc at its' midpoint! apparently this can no longer be done????

So I made a point there and MC still can't use it? I ended up creating a line just so I could break the arc!!!! 

I can't believe some of the amazing advances in tech. like that. it used to take one hot key and two screen clicks. 

now I end up around the block by the time stuff gets done!:wallbash:

While I'm ranting ... how can the depth control for opti rough git hidden in a place called "steep/shallow"?????

even my grandson laughed at that!:wallbash:

52 minutes ago, Seedy steve said:

spent at least 5 minutes trying to break an arc at its' midpoint! apparently this can no longer be done????

yes it's very simple

choose the command Break 2 pieces

select the arc

hit the "m" key (or  AutoCursor/Midpoint)

done

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, gcode said:

trim menu

Here lies the trouble , I have my trim hotkey  "ALT-comma"  set to trim break extend. 

That is why I didn't see it .... now I remember, that is why I put the whole trim menu in my QAT. 

I still don't see the logic in having so many break buttons. it's a strange world.

thanks again G

2 minutes ago, Seedy steve said:

Here lies the trouble , I have my trim hotkey  "ALT-comma"  set to trim break extend. 

That is why I didn't see it .... now I remember, that is why I put the whole trim menu in my QAT. 

I still don't see the logic in having so many break buttons. it's a strange world.

thanks again G

I hate to say this, but it will be worse in MC2020

• Sad 1
On 11/17/2018 at 4:06 PM, Matthew Hajicek™ - Conventus said:

According to those in charge of the UI at CNC Software, anyone who doesn't like the new interface is the only one.  They have told me to my face that I'm the only one who's complained about it, and everyone else loves it so I should too.

Their sole priority is attracting new millennial customers who are used to a "Microsoft interface", and long term power users are SOL.  They also lied about incorporating a third party ribbon interface package and said they wrote it all themselves, but for some reason can't tweak it.  It also mysteriously uses the same file extensions as a third party ribbon system designed and marketed to be incorporated into other software.

Honesty goes a long way, and dishonesty goes a long way the other direction.

That's still hunting and pecking icons, which takes several times as long as keystrokes.  And how many of Mastercams "over 900" functions can you fit in there?

Then why am I always hearing people complain about constant crashes?  I can have multiple X9 windows open for days with no issue.  I get maybe one crash in four months.

And I'm not talking about "Hotkeys", I'm talking about what they call "Quick Access Keys".  You know how you used to be able to do a Surface Finish Flowline by hitting <Alt> <T> <F> <F> in about a quarter second or less without moving your mouse?  Now you have to customize everything to even access it, and even so your only option is to hunt and peck icons with the mouse.

Agreed.  Crashed 2019 twice today.   At least I had the sense to save my work before i did something I had a gut feeling mcam would crash.  I was trying to verify a part and it was slllloooowwwww, so i closed the window, saved the part then tried shutting down mcam.  that took about 2 mins >.<

Won't matter to me if I go back to X9, won't have that problem because i've setup my quick access toolbar the same as X9 as well as my right mouse menu.  I don't use a whole lot of options, but its nice that its there.

On 12/14/2018 at 5:31 AM, TERRYH said:

We never used 2017 we went directly from X9 to 2019, but some of the bugs we are seeing is one guy is experiencing it to shut down when he is trying to change the color of things when selecting the full color pallet instead of the little default one, it just shuts MC down. A couple of the things I have been seeing is when changing the color of something it will take several seconds and will turn on other levels that I did not have selected. And sometimes it flat will not allow me to change the color of something. There are a few others but can't think of right now it's to early. 

That would be me as well.

I think you can work around that bu using attributes instead of expanding the color palette...

And for the record, X9 is more stable than 2019.   hands down.

Also, tried the update but Mcam told me there were none.   I'm thinking will need to manually update instead... ugh