Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mind blown

TERRYH

Well,

2019 continues to underwhelm me. They effed up the .stl's that I've used forever with surface high speed area rest roughing. The tool dove right into a bunch of stock. CNC Software noted it as a bug, and just said to create a 'stock model' instead because that would fix the problem. They also effed up the surface high speed scallop rest passes. Over on mastercam.com, CNC Software again said it was a bug: their answer, again, just create a stock model instead of using 'roughing tool'. Problem is these d@mn stock models take a LOT more time to generate for my programs than the .stl files I used in the past... A LOT MORE TIME. And, of course, who knows when CNC Software might get around to fixing it.

I'm feeling a little screwed. I argued with our owner to keep Mastercam instead of going to Tebis software, but thus far 2019 has been a pain in the @ss and I have yet to see what it had over X9 other than more glitches, more freezing and shutting down mastercam, and more need of work arounds to do the same things X9 did correctly.🤬

• Like 2
2 hours ago, sharles said:

Well,

2019 continues to underwhelm me. They effed up the .stl's that I've used forever with surface high speed area rest roughing. The tool dove right into a bunch of stock. CNC Software noted it as a bug, and just said to create a 'stock model' instead because that would fix the problem. They also effed up the surface high speed scallop rest passes. Over on mastercam.com, CNC Software again said it was a bug: their answer, again, just create a stock model instead of using 'roughing tool'. Problem is these d@mn stock models take a LOT more time to generate for my programs than the .stl files I used in the past... A LOT MORE TIME. And, of course, who knows when CNC Software might get around to fixing it.

I'm feeling a little screwed. I argued with our owner to keep Mastercam instead of going to Tebis software, but thus far 2019 has been a pain in the @ss and I have yet to see what it had over X9 other than more glitches, more freezing and shutting down mastercam, and more need of work arounds to do the same things X9 did correctly.🤬

I run a verify session, and save the results as an STL file.

Then I use that STL file to define a stock model.

This method works well for me.

The downside is the stock model is not associative to the toolpaths that define it,

I have never had any luck using toolpaths to define stock models.

The regen times are just too long to be a workable solution 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, gcode said:

and I have had too many times where the stock model has "holes" in it.....

Which has caused issues...

There are times stock models work just fine, VMC flat work....once you get in rotary and multi-axis work....most times you'll find you have to modify your gameplane...stl's still work and for the most part, that's what I use as well as the bulk of my work is HMC/Multi-axis or Mill/Turn

On 1/19/2019 at 9:54 AM, Old_Bear said:

and I have had too many times where the stock model has "holes" in it.....

Which has caused issues...

There are times stock models work just fine, VMC flat work....once you get in rotary and multi-axis work....most times you'll find you have to modify your gameplane...stl's still work and for the most part, that's what I use as well as the bulk of my work is HMC/Multi-axis or Mill/Turn

Randy has a solution here that works for me pretty much every time.  It adds a little work but it works:

On 1/11/2019 at 11:56 PM, JeremyV said:

That would be me as well.

I think you can work around that bu using attributes instead of expanding the color palette...

And for the record, X9 is more stable than 2019.   hands down.

Also, tried the update but Mcam told me there were none.   I'm thinking will need to manually update instead... ugh

MC won't give this update via the File/Help/Check for Updates. There was an issue with maintenance customers (not sure of the specifics, config files reverting back to default settings, I believe). So, MC disabled it via directly from the software.

Log in to the Mastercam website and you will find the update there. Download and install and no more 'color crashes'.

I have had zero issues since installing the update, Jeremy.

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Dan_AKA_ROY said:

MC won't give this update via the File/Help/Check for Updates. There was an issue with maintenance customers

The maintenance cutoff date for this update is 11/30/18 or later

The auto update utility was not checking the maintenance date before installing

This means the auto update utility would break your  MC2019 install if your maintenance expiration date was before

1/30/18

The update is available from the download page of Mastercam.com

I don't know if the update will install on an ineligible system or not, so I'd check your maintenance status before installing

• Thanks 1

So I am kind of weird when  program stuff, I do stuff a certain way so that I know if someone else changed my original file, one thing I do is when I am done after posting stuff I will lock and minimize all my tool paths in the manager, one as a visual to double check for myself  so I know I actually posted everything and another so if I go back and have to change fix anything I know where to look for the program in question as I name stuff like top mill, bottom mill and so forth. Another thing I do is I always save for the last time with my pat in the top work plane and in Isometric view, in 2019 no matter how I save it for the last time it always opens up in a different way with different things on the screen and different orientation, to me this is very very annoying. 

49 minutes ago, TERRYH said:

So I am kind of weird when  program stuff, I do stuff a certain way so that I know if someone else changed my original file, one thing I do is when I am done after posting stuff I will lock and minimize all my tool paths in the manager, one as a visual to double check for myself  so I know I actually posted everything and another so if I go back and have to change fix anything I know where to look for the program in question as I name stuff like top mill, bottom mill and so forth. Another thing I do is I always save for the last time with my pat in the top work plane and in Isometric view, in 2019 no matter how I save it for the last time it always opens up in a different way with different things on the screen and different orientation, to me this is very very annoying. 

Try making one viewsheet

After you have organized your file the way you like, save that to the viewsheet.

It should open back up the way you left it

• Like 2
On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:50 AM, gcode said:

I run a verify session, and save the results as an STL file.

Then I use that STL file to define a stock model.

This method works well for me.

The downside is the stock model is not associative to the toolpaths that define it,

Yeah, that's what I've been told to do too by our reseller, the problem is the stl that I had to convert to a stock model on Saturday took over an hour to convert...

...and still venting...whose great idea was it to blitz ALL X9 surface high speed programs when you read it into 2019? I simply needed to repost all my programs from an old job I did in X9, but instead I had to waste a bunch of time creating the stock model and then recalculating all the surface high speed programs in 2019 before I could repost them. I had deleted X9 off my computer since I've been having so many crash issues with 2019 and the different versions ALWAYS interact despite being told they don't, but now I may need to re-install X9 so I don't lose a bunch of time anytime I have to regenerate old jobs...🙄

19 minutes ago, sharles said:

...and still venting...whose great idea was it to blitz ALL X9 surface high speed programs when you read it into 2019? I simply needed to repost all my programs from an old job I did in X9, but instead I had to waste a bunch of time creating the stock model and then recalculating all the surface high speed programs in 2019 before I could repost them. I had deleted X9 off my computer since I've been having so many crash issues with 2019 and the different versions ALWAYS interact despite being told they don't, but now I may need to re-install X9 so I don't lose a bunch of time anytime I have to regenerate old jobs...🙄

Sorry I asked for the ability to see previous files without nuking them, but was told that was not possible. I feel your pain and hope they can come up with a way to give users the ability to view previous files in current versions without nuking them. NASA and other government agencies have polices in place if the file goes dirty in the CAM it must be re-posted. That also means re-verified and other work that almost makes a Mastercam user have to keep older versions on their systems to prevent the very thing you are going through right now.

1 hour ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

Sorry I asked for the ability to see previous files without nuking them, but was told that was not possible. I feel your pain and hope they can come up with a way to give users the ability to view previous files in current versions without nuking them. NASA and other government agencies have polices in place if the file goes dirty in the CAM it must be re-posted. That also means re-verified and other work that almost makes a Mastercam user have to keep older versions on their systems to prevent the very thing you are going through right now.

X9 never did that to any of the previous X_ version files, but I'm guessing they changed the algorithm of those high speed programs when they switched to the new format, at least that was the warning that I was given when I read the X9 file into 2019. I'm guessing it's also why the .stl files no longer are safe to use as cad files in 2019.

I was worried about how difficult it was going to be to learn the new layout and find everything that was moved or changed and learning new methods, but the more I get into it that is the easy part and I'm getting used to it. Dealing with choppy graphics when trying to rotate stuff, dealing with the longer wait times when opening and closing stuff and the wait time on simple stuff that used to be almost as fast as you can click is the annoying stuff. We have pretty decent computers and video cards, is there any stetting we can adjust on them or in MC  we can change to help in some of this?

14 minutes ago, TERRYH said:

Dealing with choppy graphics when trying to rotate stuff,

Check the Screen/View/Number of Entities for Dynamic rotation in System Config

Compare it with the setting you've used in past releases.

The bigger that number, the more horsepower you need for dynamic rotations

also,

If you work with physically large parts check the cord height setting on the Shading page

I work with very large parts and have it set at .004".

This setting has a big effect on performance with large parts

• Like 1

^ That's what I got. And yes, changing shading to 0.004". I also do that when opening large files with scanned surfaces. Just the scanned surfaces can cause some problems (minor, though). In addition to loosening my shading chord height to 0.004", for these files (1,000's of tiny scanned surfaces from a hood scoop) - I turn off shading (switch to wireframe) when changing levels to avoid the slight delay "tessellating".

17 minutes ago, 5th Axis CGI said:

I added this to my QAT and it has lived there every since it went to the Ribbon interface. I change that setting as needed I will go as high as .1 on some of the 1500 solid files that are massive assembles.

image.png

Hey Ron,

How did you get your ribbon bar to not look like a ribbon bar??

Thank you

John

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, #Rekd™ said:

Hey Ron,

How did you get your ribbon bar to not look like a ribbon bar??

Thank you

John

I removed them and took everything that was in the ribbons and added them to QAT. Now everything I need is in the QAT and good to go. Soon there will be no ribbons in 2020 expect when you do toolpaths.

• Thanks 1