Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mind blown

TERRYH

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:32 PM, sharles said:

...and still venting...whose great idea was it to blitz ALL X9 surface high speed programs when you read it into 2019? I simply needed to repost all my programs from an old job I did in X9, but instead I had to waste a bunch of time creating the stock model and then recalculating all the surface high speed programs in 2019 before I could repost them. I had deleted X9 off my computer since I've been having so many crash issues with 2019 and the different versions ALWAYS interact despite being told they don't, but now I may need to re-install X9 so I don't lose a bunch of time anytime I have to regenerate old jobs...🙄

eh, I decided to re-install X9 today on my computer. I can't afford to waste my time recalculating, old, proven files just because Mastercam decided to blitz them. I'll keep using 2019 for the new stuff and X9 for my old stuff...:smoke:

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Seedy steve said:

so now how do I customize the buttons for MC?

Right Click in the grey area of the upper toolbar

select Quick Access Toolbar... 

at the bottom left is a Customize keyboard short cuts button

build key board shortcuts for the functions you want on you mouse

then use your mouse software to map those key strokes to your mouse buttons

Example..  I have Alt L defined to launch Trim in Mastercam 

and left push on my scroll wheel mapped to ALT L on my mouse

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, gcode said:

in some cases hitting the Space Bar will bring up an input field

I just tried this on the Rectangle command

I launched the command and hit the space key

then

0,0 enter

space key

3, 2 enter

yielded a  3 x 2 rectangle with the bottom left corner at the origin

in 3D mode you can use this method to create 3D points

space bar, 0,0,-.5 enter

would create a point on the origin at Z-.5

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2019 at 8:19 AM, sharles said:

Well,

2019 continues to underwhelm me. They effed up the .stl's that I've used forever with surface high speed area rest roughing. The tool dove right into a bunch of stock. CNC Software noted it as a bug, and just said to create a 'stock model' instead because that would fix the problem. They also effed up the surface high speed scallop rest passes. Over on mastercam.com, CNC Software again said it was a bug: their answer, again, just create a stock model instead of using 'roughing tool'. Problem is these d@mn stock models take a LOT more time to generate for my programs than the .stl files I used in the past... A LOT MORE TIME. And, of course, who knows when CNC Software might get around to fixing it.

I'm feeling a little screwed. I argued with our owner to keep Mastercam instead of going to Tebis software, but thus far 2019 has been a pain in the @ss and I have yet to see what it had over X9 other than more glitches, more freezing and shutting down mastercam, and more need of work arounds to do the same things X9 did correctly.🤬

Could you provide any Request or Defect numbers from your 2 concerns you contacted us with? I would like to look at your part files relating to the Rest roughing and scallop rest pass concerns.

1 hour ago, David Conigliaro CNC Software Inc. said:

Could you provide any Request or Defect numbers from your 2 concerns you contacted us with? I would like to look at your part files relating to the Rest roughing and scallop rest pass concerns.

The stock model issue is R-18569

As for the rest pass issue. Well, another co-worker, actually was the one who went on the mastercam.com website, and he found that another user was having the same exact issues as ALL of us here are having. So I apologize that I can't give you that #, but my co-worker said that it had been logged as an actual bug/defect.

Then, since I wrote this last entry, I am now dealing with my reseller and CNC Software with the import function. The ticket # is 14660-99813. And it has to do with 2019 taking more than an hour to import toolpath operations from actual mastercam files versus the couple of minutes it used to take us in X9. I just uploaded an X9 and 2019 file of the same part to your website yesterday for you guys to take a look at it. One was 400,000KB and the other was almost 600,000. The only work around we've figured out is to put the files on our desktop and import from there, and if they are still too big, then we have to delete out all the geometry so that it 'blitzes' the operations, and then it will open the file to import the operations.

I'm VERY disappointed in 2019 to say the least, but we need the simulators and some of the other things that it offers that X9 doesn't. Otherwise I would go back.

21 minutes ago, David Conigliaro CNC Software Inc. said:

Thank you, I'll start with looking into R-18569. I'll have  a read on that ticket as well...

I guess I should add that the import issue seems to be worst with our server where we keep all our parts. And that is why, for whatever reason, it seems to help to bring the parts onto our actual computer desktop and import them from there rather than the server.

14 minutes ago, sharles said:

I guess I should add that the import issue seems to be worst with our server where we keep all our parts. And that is why, for whatever reason, it seems to help to bring the parts onto our actual computer desktop and import them from there rather than the server.

yes... per a lengthy submission I made a few months ago..

the software needs a setting to define the path where stl stock definition files reside, on a file  by file basis.

As things are, they are always defaulting to My Documents which wrecks the file if you regen it. 

Another issue I had.. our management moved 15 years worth of Mastercam files to a new server

It pretty much destroyed every file using stl files for stock or stock models

They can be rebuilt one at a time, but's a lot of work and can be very difficult if the original programmer

was not organized with his file naming scheme

If you could open the file and define a path to the stl file location, it should solve this problem

Yes, I can understand that.

On another note. You mentioned you stay away from stock models due to processing time. Stock models process pretty fast when tolerances are aligned. I can see the time maybe taking long if you never adjust the stock model Path tolerance from default, especially on large files. I created a very clean stock model from  OP7 and OP8 in less than 2 minutes using the initial stock shape provided on level 5. the Path tolerance was set to .015 which is still far less than your.05 stock to leave. Remember, stock models are captured in the file so they are safe for long term archiving.

I also noticed someone put a suggested workaround in that file to use a stock model (OP10) that references your STL file after it was imported onto level 200 as a Mesh entity. That too is a viable solution as you will now have the STL data preserved as it is  saved locally on level 200 and a clean stock model from it as referencing a Mesh entity or external STL goes through a clean up process on the triangle data during stock model processing. Your STL was not clean and watertight saved out of verify, that is why OP9 gouges as OP9 simply references the troublesome external STL file. OP11 is clean because the troublesome STL file was brought in as a Mesh entity on level 200 (which is still troublesome) and then selected for Stock Model 10. Upon processing Stock Model 10 the selected troublesome Mesh data was cleaned up, that is why OP11 does not gouge.

Hope this helps some.

I am serious we talked our company owner into keeping master cam instead of switching to Tebis and am almost regretting it and the more we get into it the bigger headaches we are finding. I had created a boundary to do a 5-axis program and had projected the curves onto the surface and wanted to change one  so I deleted it to slightly move it and it should have only blitzed one program it was used for and it blitzed over half of my already proven and complete programs, very very aggravating. it's like they added so many buttons and bells to make it pretty yet messed up the simple stuff we use daily on almost every part.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TERRYH said:

I am serious we talked our company owner into keeping master cam instead of switching to Tebis and am almost regretting it and the more we get into it the bigger headaches we are finding. I had created a boundary to do a 5-axis program and had projected the curves onto the surface and wanted to change one  so I deleted it to slightly move it and it should have only blitzed one program it was used for and it blitzed over half of my already proven and complete programs, very very aggravating. it's like they added so many buttons and bells to make it pretty yet messed up the simple stuff we use daily on almost every part.

I am still using X7....I have 2019 loaded but it feels weird...

Changes to chaining go far beyond the interface in 2020.

Mastercam 2020 - Chaining Enhancements 1
  • Refreshed dialogs
  • Solids - Merged 'Edge' and 'Linked edges' modes into single 'Edges' mode
  • Solids - Edges - Can now start a new chain when a disconnected edge is selected
  • Solids - Edges - Added previous branch support
  • Solids - Edges - 'Unselect' now removes last chain, instead of last entity
  • Solids - Edges Improved default next branch direction, first checks for tangent, then Tplane
  • Wireframe - Guided chaining - Added previous branch support
  • Wireframe - Guided chaining - Improved default next branch direction, first checks for tangent, then Tplane
  • Wireframe - Guided Chaining - Can now start a new chain when a disconnected entity is selected

Mastercam 2020 - Chaining Enhancements 2
  • Solids - Can now create partial loop chains on multiple solid bodies in the same session
  • Solids - New tangent edge propagation with tolerance
  • Wireframe - New tangent entity propagation with tolerance

Mastercam 2020 - Chaining Enhancements 3
  • Solids - Added support to edit existing chains
  • Wireframe - Added support to edit existing chains 

Mastercam 2020 - Chaining Enhancements 4
  • Configuration - Colors - New 'Chain' and 'Chain highlight' color
  • Configuration - Chaining - New settings to set chain line style and line width
  • General chain display enhancements
  • Solids - Convert Face chains to Loops
  • Solids - Convert Loop chains to Edges

• Like 2