Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cutter Compensation

Singh Abhi

Hey there,

I am kind of very confused about Milling Cutter Compensation and Climb - Conventional milling. Which method to use when and how does it affect tool life?

My employer says always use left cutter compensation and spindle should rotate in clockwise direction. Although confused but I don't think its right.

Please help me understand this concept.

Sorry if I posted a query in the wrong forum.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

your employer sounds about right, he is talking about climb cutting. the cutter starts out with a large cut and ends with a small cut. the finish will always be better climb cutting vs. conventional. ive heard conventional is better on tool life when roughing, but i climb cut everything. as far a the spindle, i dont think ive ever used m4 in a program, just in mdi to stone down a reamer or something.

• Thanks 1

The term "Conventional cutting" comes from the times when a things were run using  gears. Conventional cutting would used to  zero out the lags due to  gear teeth  gap.

Climb cutting  will usually cut  less material than it is supposed to  as  tool will bend away from the cutting material . Conventional cutting will usually  cut more material than it is supposed to as the tool tends to bend into the cutting material.

So climb cutting  is the more preferred method .  There is however a  time when conventional cutting is useful.  If you are trying to cut a hole  or  an opening and it has to be very precise,  you will very soon realize that  a say  D10 hole which is  20 mm  deep and is cut  with an 8 mm mill will be  slightly  conical . Not much , maybe 0.015 per side , but that is enough for a D10 H7  cylinder to become immovable.  This is the time to machine this hole  (after it has been cut using climb cutting )  using conventional milling that will cut the  deep part  to be more vertical  or techincally vertical. 

Gracjan

• Like 2