Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

WirePaths Wire 4-Axis question...

stevieboy

Hello,

Learning.....

I'm having trouble with this 4-Axis Wire path.

The green color geometry is on top & the magenta color is bottom.

The trouble is the Wire path on top is getting too far ahead of the bottom.

I've attached a picture of what I'm trying to explain.

Using MasterCam 2019

Thanks-

624437177_WIRE-WIREPATHS-4AXIS.thumb.JPG.f10d812ffed05ebf780a4927fe789427.JPG

The best solution is actually a method called "Chain Synchronization". It is a capability that has existed in Mastercam for at least 20 years.

The concept is fairly simple: you identify to Mastercam, which "sections" of the top and bottom chain should be treated as "matched pairs" for the top and bottom chain.

There are many different "Chain Sync Methods". These are all available by clicking on the Chaining Options button (!) in the Chaining Dialog box.

Each of the 'Sync' methods is different, in terms of how the geometry should be prepared before you begin the chaining session.

• The easiest method to start with is either "by Entity", or "by Point". Both of these require you to "prep" the geometry before you begin.
  • Essentially, you either need to break the splines up into separate segments, or you need to create your own (new) Wireframe Geometry, that represents each section, Top and Bottom. For example, as the path goes around the "sharper corners", the radius on the top, and the radius on the bottom, should be broken where it intersects the "wall" section of the chain.
  • If you use "Sync by Entity", it would be expected that you have an equal number of chains, top and bottom. So this can require a bunch of breaking (create Point Dynamic in 3D Mode is very useful).
  • Also, you can use Create > Point > Node Points (in 3D Mode), to get "points that lie on the Spline itself", that are useful positions to break up the contours.
  • Besides "Sync by Entity", there is the option for "Sync by Points". This method means that you don't have to break up the Contour Chains, but you do need to create actual Point Entities on the Top and Bottom Chains, with essentially an equal number of points, Top and Bottom.
  • The other option, that can work well, depending on how quick you are at creating geometry, is the "by branch", where you actually connect each section, top to bottom, with a Line entity. I usually create all of the top chain in one color (like Green), create the bottom chain in another color (blue), and then connect my branch lines in something like Orange. That way I can enable "Sync by Branch" mode, but also use the Color Chaining Filter, so I can grab each chain (top and bottom), while having the chaining manager ignore the branches while chaining, but still use these branches for the Sync method.

Post up a Mastercam File, and someone can show you the Sync Methods, and how to prepare the geometry. The results are even better than what you got in your second Post in this thread...

• Like 3

Colin,

Wow! I must say... that is a very helpful reply!

I used "by Entity" and just started breaking the chains, till the wire path looked doable.

I downloaded a file with (3) 4-Axis programs. I will be leaving work at 7:00am CST. I'll check the post tonight, when I get to work and see if anyone has replied on the Sync Methods.

Thanks Again! Great Job!

QTE_SAMPLE_E03998_plate_2_d.mcam

• Like 1