Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

deep hole drilling

Allied was my first thought.  It takes some serious beef to pull a 4in drill.  I had to put 2x 4in holes in 4140.  It pegged the Mazak V100 50hp motor with 2:1 reducer.  It was a Kennymetal drill.

We also tried to run an ITS-Bore through to bring it to size.  It did not run well at that extension.  I ended up getting flex hones and hanging it in a loop on a Haas for several days to bring it to size.  It was a nightmare.  If it's at all possible I'd send it out.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Rocketmachinist said:

I need to put a 4.6 inch hole through 32 inches of 13-8 stainless. We have a boring bar that can make it but I have to open it up to about 3 inches before it will fit. The local gun driller will only go up to 2 inches. What options do you think we have. It's only 1 part.

I would have the gun driller take it as big as he can,then use a smaller boring bar to bore it half and half until you can fit the larger bar.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Rocketmachinist said:

Yep. First time trying them out. If everything goes well they will be a huge resource for us.

They are an awesome resource. Never had a problem and we always were satisfied with what we got. Bonus is that we got the cores back so I could use it for other work. 

21 hours ago, workmantm said:

They are an awesome resource. Never had a problem and we always were satisfied with what we got. Bonus is that we got the cores back so I could use it for other work. 

And they are cool enough to hold off sending the stuff back to us until the government opens again. It was already a tight turn around project. We will see how everything works out when I finally get back to work.

Sounds Like you already have it figured out, and your way will be way cheaper, but Ive used Iscar Mill shread before attached to Graflex extensions sticking out 25 inches and was able helix out a bore to size it. It was the button insert style.