Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HAAS ST-15 C AXIS CONTOUR ISSUES

Jespertech

So I'm attempting to program a c-axis contour but it appears my tool is not lining up properly causing my angles to be off. I chained my geometry using linked edges from the inside diameter of the tabs. I set my rotary diameter at the diameter of the geometry that I chained (not sure if this is the cause of the problem) it seems to be leaving more material towards the tops of the tabs as if the centerline of the tool is off. I have tried switching between "wear" and "computer" for my tool comp settings and that doesn't seem to make a difference. I unfortunately cannot post the file for inspection but I'll try to upload some pics that might help in the diagnosis. Any suggestions would be much appreciated as I don't have anyone at my shop to reference for info. The red line was created to help show the tool being off.

thanks.

7.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I did a simple drawing of my own to see the problems you had and if I could figure it out. It appears as though this is due to the size of the endmill. So in practice your walls and radii are perfectly drafted to the center of rotation, with walls always being perpendicular to center. This creates a problem for the endmill as it is offset by the radius of the tool. so in practice the smaller the endmill the closer the walls will be to the drawn size. At an endmill size of 0 the part would be a perfect match.

C-axis contour does not use Y axis while milling as that axis is the substitution, and there-in is the problem. 

• Thanks 1

It's a C and Y axis lathe. This was an experiment in trying new toolpaths. I did notice that when I turned the comp off and it went off the center line of the tool the angles lined up. I'm wondering if I could lie to the dimensions in my geometry and add half the diameter of my tool to make it work.... or I should probably just learn how to do it the right way 😅.. anywho, thank you for the input.