Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Thoughts on 3D Mouse?

Metallic

A 3D mouse is mandatory IMO.

I have been using one since 2001 and could not work without it.

They do take a little getting used to.

I recommend dialing it down to it's slowest settings and dialing them up as you get used to it.

After some practice, it is like you are holding the model in your hand.

Aside from increasing your work flow, it also reduces the workload on your mouse hand, wrist and fingers.

This reduces the chances of carpal tunnel injuries and other issues that long hours at a computer can cause.

I suspect many of us would have had to find a new line of work without 3D mice.

• Like 2

I'm a big believer. 

I'm a fan of changing the default behavior of the 3d connexion ones to Zoom Direction - Up/Down instead of Forward/Backward.  In observing a lot of people I trained, it seemed more natural. 

Change my mind :)

As far as model goes, if you're just starting out and paying for your own, it's worth the money to just grab the two-button "spacemouse," to make sure you're going to use it.   If it's not your credit card, I'd recommend the Pro (the model without the LCD).   Perhaps others have a different opinion, but I have a few-years-old model with the LCD and I don't think it adds anything.  I'm already staring at enough screens, I don't need to look down at my mouse to see another!

Edit:   As for Motor-Vator..  Well, some men you just can't reach 😋

• Like 3
1 hour ago, jeff said:

Which model do you guys recommend?

I am partial to the Space Mouse Enterprise.. but they are expensive

I have a Space Mouse Enterprise at work. I like the button layout and actually use many of the buttons

I'm using a Space Mouse Pro at home and wish it were the Enterprise but don't use it enough to justify

a $400 outlay

I've been waiting for a sale for a couple of years  but 3DC is holding the price tight.

I think vendors that lowball them get cut off.

I think I've actually got 2 SpaceMouse Pros if anyone is interested in buying one of them

I don't know what they go for on Ebay these days

9 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard - CNC Software said:

I'm a big believer. 

I'm a fan of changing the default behavior of the 3d connexion ones to Zoom Direction - Up/Down instead of Forward/Backward.  In observing a lot of people I trained, it seemed more natural. 

Change my mind :)

As far as model goes, if you're just starting out and paying for your own, it's worth the money to just grab the two-button "spacemouse," to make sure you're going to use it.   If it's not your credit card, I'd recommend the Pro (the model without the LCD).   Perhaps others have a different opinion, but I have a few-years-old model with the LCD and I don't think it adds anything.  I'm already staring at enough screens, I don't need to look down at my mouse to see another!

Edit:   As for Motor-Vator..  Well, some men you just can't reach 😋

Pretty sure I got my first one because of you. Hey you might be able to teach a cave man to 5 axis, but good luck with the space mouse thingy... lol

Every answer seems to be praising a 3D mouse, but I did not manage to get used to one (SpaceNavigator), despite two weeks of effort, after which I gave up. It kept slowing me down too much so I always resorted back to mouse, otherwise it would have been impossible to get things done. The learning curve is very steep or I am getting too old.

12 minutes ago, SlaveCam said:

Every answer seems to be praising a 3D mouse, but I did not manage to get used to one (SpaceNavigator), despite two weeks of effort, after which I gave up. It kept slowing me down too much so I always resorted back to mouse, otherwise it would have been impossible to get things done. The learning curve is very steep or I am getting too old.

I had the same issue.

I purchased the original SpaceBall back in 2002 and was not able to get used to it.

It sat on my desk unused for nearly a year.

One day I decided that having spent $300 on it I was going to give it another shot.

I slowed it down to its slowest, least sensitive settings and added "Select Motion Controller Point"

to my right mouse button.

This is an important step if you work with models in aircraft space and the file origin is far way from the model.

By default the device rotates around the main origin.

As I got better with it, I sped it up.

16 years later, I cannot work without one.

Today's drivers are much better and I rarely need to use the "Select Motion Controller Point" and almost

never need to edit the speed and sensitivity settings.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gcode said:

I slowed it down to its slowest, least sensitive settings and added "Select Motion Controller Point"

to my right mouse button.

This is an important step if you work with models in aircraft space and the file origin is far way from the model.

By default the device rotates around the main origin.

I think you nailed it right there gcode.  I did that right off the bat and got hooked to the thing instantly.  Every once in a while my rotation origin will be off and I just orient it to center of the model because its impossible to manipulate the model fluidly like that.  If someone doesn't know about that one single adjustment they WILL put it in a drawer and forget about it.

I personally have been using one for over 10 years.  With all the buttons programmed and in conjunction with my Logitech G502 with its 11 programmable buttons,  I really only need to touch keyboard for typing comments and my mouse pointer movement is kept to a minimum.

If you have one in your drawer, Take it out and do what Gcode says.  I would say it makes my workflow 25% faster.

• Like 2

I bought a Space Pilot, then later a Space Pilot Pro, both used, off lease, when the next version came out and there were a ton of them on eBay.  I also switch zoom to up-down, and I find it's invaluable for making assemblies in Solidworks since I can control the model with one hand while picking mates with the other.

• Like 1

Been running one since '08. Start slow and disable your scroll wheel and dynamic positioning of your mouse. Force yourself to use it and after a while you'll wonder how you lived without it. I have two that I purchased myself at about $350ea. When I go to one of my co-workers desk's to help with something I about pull my hair out. Also, I have no idea where most of the functions are in MC and SW are since I've had everything hot keyed to 3d mouse buttons for the last 10 years. 

Mike 

1 hour ago, Seedy steve said:

I don't understand why they sell a cad mouse with the package deal ,

if this fantastic mouse replaces your regular mouse then why do u want another normal looking one?

I was disappointed with the Cad Mouse

I really liked it and it's customizable features, but after about 6 months of hard use the left mouse button started

getting heavy, requiring too much effort to click.

I was an very early adopter and was hoping they had issues with the first production runs.

2 emails to Customer Support got no reply so I went back to Logitech gaming mice.

2 hours ago, gcode said:

I was disappointed with the Cad Mouse

I really liked it and it's customizable features,

So, Gcode, 

you use both? how many hands do you have? lol

maybe down south u get three hands? not here in Canada. would be nice tho.

I had never heard of these toys before today, ( ya i don't get out much), they are sure pricey over $600. Canadian.

looks like HP has one for close to $2000.00 !! 

If I only had a ,(brain), third hand, I could use one.